AOL Broadband

aragon1919 11:34 14 Aug 03

hi wonder if anyone can help
i received my aol broadband pack and installed it
i am using windows 2000 pro
i cannot get a connection through it and even after hours of being on the phone to aol support i still cannot get it to work
they blamed everything to using a phone extension (which i removed) to my firewall (which i uninstalled) to their latest reason its the network settings (which they dont know the settings for) they actualy told me to phone pc world or someone like that for going through network settings

i was asked to set up a manual connection to test the modem (whoosh test) and connected at a actual speed of 576 kbps its only when try to connect through aol that the problem exists
any help would be gratefully appreciated
aragon

The Sack 12:00 14 Aug 03

You didnt connect at 576Kbs, thats just the speed the stupid BT software likes to tell everyone they have connected, thats the maximum speed including overheads BTW and it can never get reached.

Does the modem sync with the exchange when you boot the PC?

livewire 12:19 14 Aug 03

ah well thats AOL for you. By chancer are you using the BT Voyager modem?

Djohn 12:23 14 Aug 03

I'm on AOL and using a 8 metre extension lead with no problems. Have you set up software first, then modem as per the guide? Are you using the filter/s in the correct order? You also mention "Network settings", are you trying to set-up on 1 PC only? Do both green lights on modem show steady? the third one for "Data" will only flash once you are connected and sending/receiving. j.

aragon1919 12:30 14 Aug 03

being new to broadband i take it you mean that by sync-ing with exchange you mean that the dsl light comes on on the modem yes it does both power and dsl lights up
when i click the aol icon the sign on screen appears and when click connect it says connecting to aol broadband it goes through to checking password and usualy at this point it goes back to the sign in screen but sometimes it does connect but and shows welcome but nothing else no buddy list no channel bar nothing on the home page the connection is so slow it makes a 14 k modem look fast and after about 30 secs it says dsl error and has lost connection
the last thing the helpline said was that it was my network settings which as far as i'm concerned are same for the whoosh test has trying to connect through aol
aragon

livewire 12:36 14 Aug 03

what version of aol are you using

Djohn 12:37 14 Aug 03

Are you using just one PC or do you have a home network of two or more PC's?

aragon1919 12:42 14 Aug 03

its a single pc with the software provided by aol (8) and yes its a bt voyager modem

aragon1919 12:45 14 Aug 03

the filter is plugged into the main wall socket then i have a 10 foot cable going to the modem from the dsl socket there are no other phones or sockets in the house

JIM 12:56 14 Aug 03

(filter is plugged into the main wall socket then i have a 10 foot cable going to the modem from the dsl socket)

plug your filter into your extention lead by your PC not the main wall scocket. You may have to uninstall the aol software and start again,unless your sure the voyager drivers are installed.

Make sure you followed info for connecting the USB cable.

Djohn 13:01 14 Aug 03

Have you tried un installing AOL via Control panel, Add/remove programs, [Only takes a couple of minutes] then re-install software for AOL program only! [Not the modem software]. If you manage to get on line then, click on the help at top of page, then "About AOL". a blue message window will come up, click on the Ctrl. and Alt. keys at same time, this will give you your connection speed.

If, as you say, you can get on line sometimes but not others, and the full AOL screen is not showing, then it suggest more a problem with the Program software rather than the Broadband connection.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

iPhone 9 and beyond: 32 amazing future smartphone developments - graphene, supercapacitor…