AOL BB Drivers update help

mattyc_92 15:04 03 May 05

hi, I have recieved the AOL e-mail with the link for the updated driver installation for the conection upgrade (the free upgrade) a while ago...

I have no problems with it (in the sense of being able to install it and access the internet afterwards), apart from I don't like using the AOL software, but I have no option...

I normally connect to the net through the modem (from the "contect to.." option on the Start Menu), but now I can't.... Instead, AOL automatically connects you to a "virtual network" using this modem, so the only way to connect to the internet is by using the AOL software...

I have contacted AOL, but they don't understand/don't know how to correct this...

Can anyone help?

As normal, thanks in advance

mattyc_92 15:39 03 May 05

^

Diemmess 17:40 03 May 05

I have always used Aol so am "at sea" when asked about 'simple IE', so am not in a position to be much help.

Even so, you have a contract with a reliable ISP and yet want to go the long way round! ....... Is there a specific difficulty you have with any website or is it just not enough experience with Aol to relax and let it do the work for you -it does it very well. Like the ealier Microsoft route is is a matter of knowing all the facilities and how to reach them.

(Personally I tend to agree with you about the less easy questions placed before their helpline. If it fits some volume of FAQs you will get an answer but the questions have to be asked in exactly the right way, or you have their "agent" stumped)

feb 18:54 03 May 05

If you are using AOL9, have you got the AOL icon in the system tray? If so then right click and then click "Start AOL Dialler"

mattyc_92 19:04 03 May 05

Thanks for the response...

Diemmess

I only use the AOL software if I am expecting an e-mail....

to feb as well

I have many users on this system and don't want them to have my password, so I just "store" it in the "contect to.." option, so they can access the web...

I have uninstalled the update for now, as it also gives error messages when the system goes into stand-by... Then I can't access the internet (and if AOL was open when it went into stand-by, it crashes)... I have to log off and on again to get back onto the net (and sometimes restart the system)...

feb 19:43 03 May 05

Is this an old update?

which modem are you using?

I know a few people who have had problems with a modem update in the past and simply gone back to the old drivers.

Diemmess 20:05 03 May 05

You can have a number of different screen names, so why not make a new one for yourself and keep the password to yourself.

Or if you want to keep your present screen name, make the others use a different one. You can then change your password to a new private one and can do that at any time.

No one can access your email without going on line or switching screennames and using your password.

mattyc_92 20:36 03 May 05

Diemmess

If I done that, then anyone who knows the screenname and password can access the internet ANYWHERE in the world.... This would mean that if one of the users gives the detials to one of their friends, they would be able to access the net for free

feb

1) It is one of the updates from the "free upgrades" because of them ditching the 256k connection

2)I am using the BT Voyager 100 USB ADSL Modem

Diemmess 20:45 03 May 05

NO, whether you keep your existing screen name and force others to change to another, or choose a new name for yourself, it is easy to change your password.

Its privacy is certain provided you don't tick the box to "store your password". The only snag is that each time you go online with that screen name you will have to type your password first.

Anyone looking over your shoulder will only see the ****** as you type.

mattyc_92 20:49 03 May 05

I mean the "shared" account, not mine... Sorry for the confusion

mattyc_92 18:38 07 Jun 05

Sorry... Forgot to tick this thread and give an update....

I installed the Driver Updates from the "pop-up" they started to show upon you signing in and all seems well...

Sorry again... lol

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…