Is AOL any good?

*Silver*Hawk* 17:03 14 Mar 05

Hi, Due to the ntl cap limits that they are enforcing I really want to change ISP. I looked on AOL and they have really good deals, there is a 1mb line for 24.99 and no limit, I read on their page that you can use this with the current ntl cable line? Could someone advise me as to whether to get this or not. Seems really good.

Completealias 17:08 14 Mar 05

Personally I wouldn't go with AOL haven't tried there bb products but after being on them with dialup wouldn't try again.

They pre filter content b4 u even get a lookin for a start

Mango Grummit 17:18 14 Mar 05

Been with AOL since version five. Had BB since it was launched and have three computers all connected to the internet via router.

Never had any problems at all with AOL.

Is AOL any good? Yes!

pj123 17:22 14 Mar 05

What cap limits? 1gb per day seems pretty good to me. Better than wanadoo's 6gb per month for roughly the same price.

I have a dialup account with AOL and am on NTL cable phone. AOL keep touting me to get on to BB so I assume that you can get BB with AOL/NTL. The dialup contract ends in May this year. But as I already have NTL BB at 1mb I am looking at ending the AOL contract.

mattyc_92 17:50 14 Mar 05

I find the AOL service good, but it is far more expensive than other companies... Having said this, there are NO catches, no download limates, etc...

The only problem that I have heard with AOL, is that it is never enough impossiable to cancel your contract.... So good luck to pj123.... lol

Chegs ® 18:42 14 Mar 05

I'm on AOL dialup,only been with them a few weeks and it has completely fullfilled ALL my previous gripes about them.

The AOL software must be used(cannot cfg a "normal" dialup network)It loads so much crap AOL Computer Checker/AOL 9.0/AOL Double-Click to start/AOL Saved PFC,etc and thats JUST on the desktop.The AOL browser is a waste of time,it wont let me cfg its font settings so with my resolution set at 1600x1200,the 4" browser window is totally unreadable.RealPlayer/Quicktime mediaplayers,both of which I despise! They may offer a BB service,but if its anything like their dialup,even if it was the cheapest fastest connection on the planet,I wouldn't have it.

There are numerous PCA members who have used/still use AOL with no complaints,but I developed my dislike when a friend used AOL,and I spent hours sorting out his problems(everything from browser hijacks to viruses)He complained to AOL about the problems he was getting,and they gave him 6 mths dialup free.

Phphred 18:42 14 Mar 05

click here
Try this £20 for 2Mb & 10 Gb or £25 for 2Mb & 50Gb

Phphred 18:44 14 Mar 05

On A monthly Contract. I meant to add!

realist 19:29 14 Mar 05

AOL is sound. Just treat their browser as another window and carry on using IE, or whatever.

mattyc_92 19:32 14 Mar 05

Even better, I only open the AOL software if I am expecting an e-mail... Otherwise I just type in my user name and @aol.com and password inthe fields from the "contect to" option (when I have clicked onto my modem's name obviously)...

in a word... NO.. aol is very intrusive. tries to take over as your default browser. my sister had this problem.. i had to re-boot her pc. it puts files and folders everywhere. trying to uninstall it and get rid of the registry changes is a nightmare!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5