aol 9 driving me crazy

matt1234 13:17 30 Jul 04

hi

i have a 8 month gameing laptop and aol keeps crashing loosing the connection with 512 BB

Is their any way i can get acces into the service without using aol 9>

Could it be the modem if yes i will be replacing it in a month!

Djohn 13:40 30 Jul 04

Install AOL 9 drivers for the modem (Broadband) without installing the rest of the software, the drivers are on the version 9 CD. I believe this also applies to dial-up as well.

You will need to un-install all AOL software from your PC the use your username and password to enable the connection of a broadband modem, if dial-up then the same will apply.

Use the new connection wizard to make a connection to AOL inserting Username/Password into your settings as you would with any other ISP. This will now give you access to AOL without the desktop or other software.

Use IE6 or browser of choice to surf the net. For your email requirements, use Express or again any email client you wish. Check with AOL Keyword, "IMAP" for settings of Express.

matt1234 17:44 30 Jul 04

i think i may of done it by right clicking on the usb modem in network conections and then clicking connect then entering my aol username and psswaord

is that correct?

Djohn 17:58 30 Jul 04

Unfortunately I left AOL just prior to the general release of version 9 so not absolutely sure but it does sound right. Can you now log on to AOL without the rest of the software being installed then use IE6 to browse? If so, then Spot on. j.

matt1234 19:44 30 Jul 04

thankz alot

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch Series 2 review | Apple Watch 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter,…