AOL 1Mb connection

johnbhoy 09:26 13 Oct 03

Hi Guys - I logged into my Primary AOL account and got a pop up advert from AOL with details of their new 1Mb DSL connection due out in November, for £39.99.

If I decide to sign up it is a 1yr time again.

Question is, would I see a significant performce improvement from my current 512K connection.

MAJ 09:38 13 Oct 03

I would imagine that you would be able to download files in half the time, johnbhoy. You don't say what the upload speed is, so I don't know if there's any improvement on your present 256k. I don't suppose ordinary webpages would load any quicker than they are at the moment for you, depends on traffic at the server end, I suppose.

Cloggsy 09:39 13 Oct 03

My god! £39.99?

Try having a look at the Pipex website click here

They're doing a 1Mb connection for £24 per month!

Elyvate 15:41 13 Oct 03

I have the 512k AOL at home, 1MB with Nildram at work and a 2MB leased pipe at my other work and the only difference I notice between all 3 is the download speeds. Web pages all seem to load up at the same time. I personally wouldn't go for the aol offer, after all its hugely overpriced and you're still stuck in a 12 month contract. There are many better ISP's out there and once my contract with aol runs out in a few weeks I will be migrating to someone else.

johnbhoy 15:41 13 Oct 03

Already tied to AOL for another 10 months (not that I am complaining). My present AOL 512K connection is very stable,unlike a few people I know who are on AOL. Was just wondering about the 1Mb service, but given wife is expecting 3rd baby, can't see me being able to justify £40 a month for my internet connection.

STEVE71163 15:56 13 Oct 03

Where did you see this on the aol site because i have looked and cant see it anywhere?

spikeychris 16:10 13 Oct 03

1meg for £24, you sure?.

I have just gone with Nildram 1Mbps and cant believe it!

I have been on BT BB (512) for two years but this new speed is just plain silly - incredibly fast!

STEVE71163 16:37 15 Oct 03

I have just upgraded to the 1mb speed. When i get it upgraded at the exchange next week i will let you know what it is like.

STEVE71163 15:30 21 Oct 03

Is it much faster overall or just with downloading?

Pumas 15:59 21 Oct 03

I think the Pipex service is really £33.99 a month; tat's still quite good though.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…