AOL

madPentium 10:25 20 Jan 05

does anyone know if AOL has altered their software to disable internet connection sharing?

Diemmess 10:39 20 Jan 05

Have seen nothing to suggest this. Any problem must depend on exactly what you mean by "connection sharing." What you can and cannot do is common to all ISPs, I would have thought.

Why not phone Aol on their 0800 number and ask a live human about this?

The Sack 10:51 20 Jan 05

You have never been able to share a connection via the AOL software, you always had to use a proxy. However now you dont even need to use the AOL software so they cant stop you from sharing (providing you are on broadband)

madPentium 11:54 20 Jan 05

The main pc has the bt broadband modem attached and a dial up was originally used on the desktop. When this was activated, both the main pc and the wireless networked one could both use AOL at the same time. If AOL on the main pc was started, it dialled up the bt connection first but no more. It seems to connect with no dial up being shown on the pc. Its as tho the connection is now built into aol and doesnt go through windows now. If the main pc is in aol the client pc cant access the net, however if the main one is logged out of aol, the client dials up and connects. All strange and happened since an aol update downloaded and installed 2 days ago.

CurlyWhirly 18:55 20 Jan 05

All strange and happened since an aol update downloaded and installed 2 days ago.

I am sorry but I don't have the solution to your original query but I, like you, have found out that since installing the update I can NO longer use System Restore as then the BT Voyager isn't recognised!
It is as if the modem bypasses Windows altogether!
Also I have a NEW double monitor icon in the taskbar saying LOCAL AREA NETWORK and also an annoying message saying "Status: Aquiring network address" though it NEVER seems to find the blessed network address! LOL

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

iPhone 7 review: a range of small updates add up to an excellent phone

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How New York’s Stylin’ Seniors became a golden social media campaign

23 Apple Watch tips & secret features: Master your Apple Watch, Apple Watch Series 1 or Apple…