AOL

denali 11:20 24 Jun 04

Anyone seen the latest news on AOL. A member of their staff has been accused of sell 90million e-mai addresses to spam merchants. This was in America. It does make you wonder, though, what goes on here!!

Sethhaniel 11:30 24 Jun 04

My friend is about to terminate his contract with NTL as all he gets is SPAM filling his inbox every day - with block senders etc, of no use
I wonder how many more are leaving because ofthe amount of SPAM and the ISP's seaming not to do anything -and as with AOL even selling your addresses to Spammers

g0slp 12:37 24 Jun 04

You've stated

" -and as with AOL even selling your addresses to Spammers "

Do you have a link for that claim please, as it's got serious implications...

I'm on NTL, but Mailwasher stops 99% of the spam getting to my machine. I know what you mean about the volume of spam, but it's not just NTL who don't seem to be doing anything.

Sethhaniel 12:46 24 Jun 04

Rip Off Report:OnlineDetective.com ripoff Sells email addresses to spammers New York New York
... OnlineDetective.com ripoff Sells email addresses to spammers New ... you an owner, employee or ex-employee with either negative ... Internet Explorer 4, or AOL 4.0. Support for JavaScript ...
click here - 17k - Cached - More pages from this site
Arrest at AOL for Selling Emails to Spammers · MarketingVOX
Independent e-marketing, internet marketing, and all marketing news. ... 92 million AOL email addresses and selling them to a Las Vegas "Internet marketer." AOL employee Jason Smathers was ... Research & stats. Sex sells. Signs of doom. Signs of recovery ...
click here - More pages from this site

stlucia 12:47 24 Jun 04

Strange, I noticed only last night that AOL seemed to be improving greatly spam-wise -- I only got one between four different screen names.

Also, developing this topic a bit further, I've never had any spam on two AOL screen names which I've registered but never used. I've seen it on this forum and elsewhere that most spammers use randomly generated addresses, in which case I would expect to see the same amount of spam on my unused addresses as on the others. But since I don't get any on them, isn't it more likely that somehow the spammers are somehow obtaining the addresses from internet traffic?

Sethhaniel 12:50 24 Jun 04

Arrest at AOL for Selling Emails to Spammers
23 Jun 2004
Reuters: AOL Worker Sold Customer List for Spam, U.S. Charges

An AOL worker was arrested Wednesday for stealing 92 million AOL email addresses and selling them to a Las Vegas "Internet marketer." AOL employee Jason Smathers was charged by a U.S. attorney from the Southern District of New York. The alleged buyer, Sean Dunaway, has also been arrested and is believed by prosecutors to have, in turn, sold the list multiple additional times. AOL customers have not reported noticing a difference.

g0slp 16:44 24 Jun 04

Much appreciated

Mark

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…