Anywhere internet! but can i get it to go faster

sam2004 22:53 25 Nov 05

Hi,

I have just found that me mobile phone has the facility to connect with my laptop and put the laptop on the internet. I am really pleased about this, and also with the traiff, 10p a min.

But, my problem comes when i go to use this connection. Problem being that it will only connect at 9.6 Kbps, a little slow even by dial-up standards!

Does anybody know of a way in which i can speed up my connection?

Thanks
Sam

Dipso 23:02 25 Nov 05

click here but it's not free.

mgmcc 00:21 26 Nov 05

The standard speed for dialup connections over GSM is 9.6kbps. In the UK, Orange (and only Orange) also supports HSCSD (High Speed Circuit Switched Data) which, with a handset that also supports HSCSD, will give a speed of 28.8kbps.

The alternative, if your handset supports it, is to connect with GPRS which, theoretically, should give speeds comparable to the 56kbps of PC modems, if not better.

sam2004 12:06 26 Nov 05

i have tried it with another phone and found that it could connect at 115Kbps, it is just down to the model of the phone?

Does anybody know what model of phone would be best to use?

mgmcc 14:48 26 Nov 05

<<< i have tried it with another phone and found that it could connect at 115Kbps >>>

I suspect that is almost certainly the port speed - 115,200bps - which is the speed at which the laptop and phone are communicating, *not* the speed of the internet connection between phone and ISP. Some serial port modems indicate the port speed instead of the internet connection speed, sometimes due to incorrect drivers being used.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…