Anything better than Musicmatch?

hawthorn59 20:30 25 Feb 05

Hi Folks.

Just wondering if theres anything you could recommend that is as good as or better than Musicmatch? While I like it, and there are lots of good features, there are a few things I dont like, mainly

1 In order to simply play a track or an album, it is annoying to have to drag it into the playlist every time.You cant just press "play".

2 I find that it hangs or sticks every so often. And sometimes operates slowly, with screen slow to change when you click.

So if you have any opinions. I know you can do CD covers and all that, so Id need that in whatever other Id consider too. A lot of them dont have it.

Thanks in advance

K

Diodorus Siculus 20:43 25 Feb 05

Winamp

Apple's iTunes

Both top class

dogbreath1 20:43 25 Feb 05

If you want a good free music player click here
For ripping music files and audio file format conversion click here

anniel 21:05 25 Feb 05

Dogbreath, I mean. Heartily back up his recommendations...and I bought Musicmatch, though hardly ever use it.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:37 25 Feb 05

1 In order to simply play a track or an album, it is annoying to have to drag it into the playlist every time.You cant just press "play".

just double click file to add to playlist

2 I find that it hangs or sticks every so often. And sometimes operates slowly, with screen slow to change when you click.

go back to version 7

hawthorn59 04:32 26 Feb 05

Thanks for the replies. I like the look of Winamp, I presume its worth the 14.95? What does dbpoweramp do that Winamp doesnt? How does Winamp compare with Jet Audio?

As regards going back to Musucmatch 7, funny thing is I dloaded MM10, having a new Laptop and not having used it for a while. I emailed them for my code(I had upgraded) but it wouldnt work.

After a few more emails I eventually got a reply telling me I purchased Version 8.1 in Mar 02, but this did not include "all future versions". thought it did, so it means if i want to use V 10 I have to purchase a NEW key for that! This seems like a RIP-off to me (groan...!).

So is it worth going back to 8.1 or is Winamp or Jet Audio better?

And do any of them do album sleeves/cards, as MM does?

Many thanks again

K

Diodorus Siculus 08:36 26 Feb 05

Winamp is free - at least the standard version is and there is nothing really in the pro version that is worth buying, in my opinion.

As I said above, Apple's iTunes will rip your CDs, organise them and play them.

dogbreath1 09:57 26 Feb 05

Musicmatch is bloated. It's pants. It's slow and it hangs. I had it for a while and it's been consigned to the bin. The reason that I mentioned both Winamp and dBpowerAMP was that you can get both free versions and enable yourself to do hopefully all that you need. The dBpowerAMP is a modular group of progs.that between themselves do it all, but I particularly like Winamp. Try changing between songs. I've got about 4500 songs on my hdd and to change from one to the other is literally instant. There is NO discernable delay. Also the visualisations (morphing psychedelic images) that it generates are really good. The thing with Winamp (free) is that it won't rip songs from a c.d.. This is where dBpowerAMP comes into it's own. It's quick, it's reliable and will burn virtually any audio format (mp3, wma, ogg vorbis etc. etc.). Also Winamp will burn c.d.s (like dBpowerAMP) but a lot slower. Have a try at both packages, I really cannot see you being disappointed, but if you are simply uninstall.

Kate B 11:46 26 Feb 05

iTunes. The best. Free. Need I say more?

hawthorn59 15:56 26 Feb 05

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. Finally just 2 last questions;

If I got the pro version of Winamp, ($14.95) doesnt it rip, burn, the lot? Just it might be handy to have everything in the one package.

A couple of you said itunes, does it read, rip, burn to the usual formats? I thought I read something about it leaning towards the ipod....I could be totally wrong.

Many thanks

K

Diodorus Siculus 16:00 26 Feb 05

[quote]itunes, does it read, rip, burn to the usual formats?[/quote]

Yes.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…