Anyone using Xubuntu - tips on install

Seth Haniel 10:42 30 Jul 07

My laptop hard disk died and on getting a secondhand one I have downloaded the image file for Xubuntu to give it a try

Is there much out here that will run OK with this system

The disk already has XPHome (expired)on do i just overwrite this with the Xubuntu image

specs seam OK 233mmx 64M ram 20gig HD CD

recomend any programs for it once up and running

Seth Haniel 13:21 30 Jul 07

anyone

Pine Man 13:32 30 Jul 07

I tried running it off the disc first and it seemed ok so I loaded it onto a clean HD.

It is NOT for beginners.

I got it running, sort of, but had a lot of problems trying to set the resolution and eventually went on to the Ubuntu Forum site for help. Most of the people on the site seemed to be speaking a different language to me and I couldn't resolve that problem.

I persisted with Ubuntu and had no problem connecting to the net via a wired modem/router. I failed miserably with a wireless connection.

The software on the disc is good and there is a lot for downloading BUT it isn't just a simple matter of installing extra stuff. You have to write all sorts of strange commands into a 'shell' window, I think it was called, and in the end I gave up completely!

The advice I got from people 'in the know' was not to learn on Ubuntu but go for some of the other Linux packages, which are much easier to manage.

Seth Haniel 14:29 30 Jul 07

ta .. will give it a bash

can only try these things ;)

octal 14:33 30 Jul 07

Is there any reason why you choose that particular Linux Distribution? There are better ones around like PCLinuxOS which is one of the most friendly desktops around.
click here

Seth Haniel 14:57 30 Jul 07

opted for the cut down version for my old Laptop

plus as with your link they are blocked by the server here at work (ooops)

Pine Man 18:07 30 Jul 07

Good luck with it. If you need help this link will take you to the Ubuntu forum click here

Pine Man 18:10 30 Jul 07

Just realised you can't read links hopefully this will not be a link "click here"

Pine Man 18:11 30 Jul 07

it starts with http then ubuntuforums then dot org. That should do it!

Pine Man 18:12 30 Jul 07

Phew!

Seth Haniel 09:15 31 Jul 07

Got those links - Ta -
trouble is I now need a BIOS update for this to work on my machine - so back to drawing board

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…