Anyone using PlusNet as their ISP?

Nosmas 21:18 28 Aug 03

On my home page for PlusNet click here and also on click here there are various links to News Headlines. For the past couple of days none of these links has worked for me. They each have the format click here and only differ by the string of numbers at the end.

Clicking on any of the links brings up a new window with the link address but then it hangs and eventually I get "The page cannot be displayed" error message.

Having raised this problem with PlusNet's Customer Support, they didn't have any problems with the links and have suggested (a) Deleting Temporary Internet files, (b) rebooting, and (c)checking if there is a proxy server. I have done the first two and nothing has changed. I am not sure how to check for a proxy server; the only reference I can find is in menu Tools -> Internet Options -> Advanced and under HTTP1.1 Settings the box 'Use HTTP1.1 through proxy connections' is un-ticked. They then say if none of this works then my browser may not be installed properly. I can't accept this as my browser (IE) has been and still is working for all other sites I visit and any links on them. Furthermore the News Headlines links have previously worked, and have only been troublesome for the last couple of days. I have even gone through the IE Repair process without any result.

Is anyone out there having similar problems with these links from PlusNet, or can someone suggest an answer to the problem please?

Bodi 21:21 28 Aug 03

and am having problems connecting at the moment. Usually takes four or five goes before I'm successful. It's only since I've installed XP - will have a go at the links and let you know how I get on.

Bodi

Bodi 21:26 28 Aug 03

Everything working fine on Plusnet. My problem is because XP doesn't like my modem - er I think.

Bodi

marjted 21:32 28 Aug 03

Can't offer any solution but for your information, the Plusnet portal links seemed to open O.K. for me - using XP.

If they worked O.K. before the "past couple of days", have you downloaded or installed anything which may have affected I.E.
Secondly you could try setting all the Internet settings to Default and see if that helps?

Nosmas 21:35 28 Aug 03

Many thanks for your two very prompt responses. I have tried going to click here from this page and still get "The page cannot be displayed" error message, so it seems it must be something wrong on my system.

Anyone have any ideas please?

Bodi 21:41 28 Aug 03

Why not try downloading the Plusnet automatic setup and use that to refresh your internet settings? May work - you never know!

Bodi

hssutton 21:45 28 Aug 03

Working Ok for me.

Bodi it seems strange that you are having prolems since upgrading. Mine was a similar experience. Until recently I was with Gioserve, but after upgrading to XP Pro it became almost unusable, so I switched to Plusnet, this as been fine, apart from the last 2-3 days sometimes taking a number of attempt to connect.

Bodi 21:48 28 Aug 03

So it may not be that my modem and XP are not getting along together? Last three or four days, getting connected has been really irrating. "The number you dialled is busy" - "The service cannot be connected" over and over again. Longest was 10 attempts - one after the other.

Bodi

Nosmas 00:09 29 Aug 03

By 'PlusNet automatic setup' I presume you mean the Automatic configuration for a BT Line (or a non-BT Line) that appears on click here If so I note that this is for dial-up only, and is no good for me as I am on Broadband.

If that is not what you have in mind, please can you give a bit more detail?

whybe 00:50 29 Aug 03

I'm not using PlusNet but BT Openworld are telling us that both Broadband and Dial Up are problematic (and have been for days) because of Blaster. They also say that links to other company sites may be slow or unavailable. Do you think it maybe 'Net wide?

Bodi 10:13 29 Aug 03

Sorry, just assumed you were on dialup. However, "whybe" may have given the reason for your troubles (and mine for that matter) so maybe the problem lies with BT (now that's something new!) and not at your end.

Bodi

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…