Anyone using Paypal to collect donations?

RWest 20:33 01 Dec 07

[This message may appear elsewhere - I only just noticed this website specific forum]

I'm setting up a website and would like to include Paypal [or some other method] to collect possible donations, or for people to pay for things - the site is informational, and this is something of a side issue.

Credit card checking and security stuff dseem complex and risky; an obvious approach is to use Paypal or something similar.

[1] I *think* Paypal prefers to debit one account and simultaneously move the same amount to the other site. I'm not happy to have my account debited at will and would prefer to set up a balance with Paypal, just like any account, and top it up when/if needed. But I cannot find out if Paypal allows this.

[2] If people want to use paypal from your site, is there any choice in the way it shows up? I've seen 2 sites using Paypal for donations, and both have the same naff layout - first, the amounts are set up as unit price times quantity, which looks silly; second, on the same page there's a paypal logo and link - it's not clear whether your user has to go through Paypal as well as/ in place of/ at all.

[3] There seem to be limits whioch are rather low on the amounts held, at least in the 'personal account'. Have I read this properly? If you want the option of amounts above a few hundred, the personal account is to restrictive.

[4] what about other currencies? Does Paypal convert?

I hope someone can help!

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:12 01 Dec 07

giving away something for free, such as a PC utility you wrote, there is no point asking for a donation. I don't think people will pay to view a website unless it is very very special.

I may be wrong, but I think you need a premium or business account with PayPal to use this service. I'll check my own account later.

RWest 01:13 02 Dec 07

thanks, barry; I did wonder about that & would be grateful for accurate info. I wish they would describe things better... it's the same mentality that makes them advertise thing as free, when it turns out you have to pay at some point.

I suspect most paypal accounts, as used with ebay, are for rather small amounts; hence the pretence it's all free.

RWest 01:16 02 Dec 07

I've been looking at sites that ask for donations - mostly informational or campaigning ones and it's surprising how unprofessional the systems still are.

Some of them stress tax deductions and things like 'give as you earn' (how many people really do that??)

I've been looking at sites that ask for donations - mostly informational or campaigning ones and it's surprising how unprofessional the systems still are.

Some of them stress tax deductions and things like 'give as you earn' (how many people really do that??)

RWest 01:17 02 Dec 07

oh sorry; something's gone wrong. ... there are secure credit card sites which I haven't attempted to check out; but Paypal or similar (worldPay?) seem easiest. If only they'd give clear intructions.

RWest 21:52 02 Dec 07

I've just noticed Paypal have a phone enquiry (on their business section), an 0800 number, so I'll give that a go and close this thread.

barryoneoff.co.uk 23:36 04 Dec 07

I use Paypal quite a lot, but as I said, not for donation buttons.
If you register for a premium account (it's free) you do the same as a buy now button, just copy the code and put it into your website.

RWest 21:57 06 Dec 07

yes ok barry, thanks; i *think* having visited a branch that they'd assumed my account was defunct after having been disused for eyars; when I get my new card probably it'll be all systems go. (They might have told me 2 weeks ago though).

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…