Anyone Useful with MS Word Out There?

gazmania 19:48 27 Oct 03

Would appreciate some help with Word using Office XP. I want to create an 'art' border. Problem is my document page is split into 2 columns. When I click OK, the border is applied to the whole page. My preference is to apply the border only to the column. I've tried inserting 'Sections' into the column, but the system doesn't seem to recognise the section & still applies the border to the whole page. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Djohn 20:35 27 Oct 03

Not sure if this is the correct way to do it, but have been having a go for the past thirty minutes and found this way works.

Use the text box tool from "Wordart" to select an area within each column and expand it to line up with the column edges. [Do one at a time] Now click on the border Icon on the "Draw" tool bar, all you will see are straight borders, but scroll down to the bottom and choose "more" lines. This will open a small window for you to choose border art. Make your selection from there.

Kalb 20:53 27 Oct 03

I've been using Word from Office97 for a number of years.....not sure if you can use my solution with your version.
Click on Format..(File,Edit,View etc) does it unroll to show Borders & Shading ? If so maybe I can help.

gazmania 21:28 27 Oct 03

Yes, i have the same menu item

AndyJ 21:30 27 Oct 03

Another way of doing it is to insert an appropriate border clipart e.g. picture frame in to the column, then expand it to the length of the column. However to get your text in you'll have to put a text box into the relevant area of the clipart image.

If you have a really fancy border unfortunately it will distort as you expand it.

gazmania 21:31 27 Oct 03

Thanks very much for spending all that time trying to help. I guess you can see the problem?! I'll try what you said but I'm not sure it is the right approach.

Djohn 21:33 27 Oct 03

Your welcome. I'll have another try later on to see what I can find. j.

Eagie 22:28 27 Oct 03

I am a little tired and so probably getting the question all wrong but are you trying to use a border from the 'borders and shading' menu? If so there should be no problem applying it to just one area - unless of course you are changing the 'page border' options and not the 'borders' options.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…