Anyone used PrevX security software?

Yoda Knight 11:45 20 Apr 05

Just wondering how good it is ?

click here for their site

Belatucadrus 12:13 20 Apr 05

Keeps a close eye on anything attempting to change your system, but a pain in the bum if you're trying to instal new software, as it keeps stopping the installation routine asking if you want it to accept changes. I have yet to see any evidence of its anti spyware capabilities, but I use Firefox so it's less of a problem.

plsndrs3 12:16 20 Apr 05

Hi Yoda Knight,

Used this for a while. It warns of potential changes to [certain?] registry details and asks the user for permission - a bit like Zonealarm asking if a program can access the internet.

When I installed new programs [as a trial or whatever] Prevx would make the warnings appear everytime the registry was being changed, or added to & this could mean that it took me a few minutes to install a program only to find that I didn't like it and have to remove it [with all the warnings appearing as each line in the registry was removed].

I now think that with Avast, Spybot, MS Antispyware, Spybot S&D et al and my browsing habits [not acepting free software & generally being careful of sites i visit] I am adequetely covered so I have deleted this program.

Just didn't suit my PC use.

Regards,

Paul

Yoda Knight 12:24 20 Apr 05

Thanx, I wont bother trying it out then :)

dogbreath1 12:43 20 Apr 05

I think it's a fine program. Like many firewall type applications, it depends upon how it is configured and used as to how it performs. There are options to choose 'trusted install programs' to minimise alerts. You can also adjust 'security settings' per individual function so as to prevent, query, ignore or report various activities. For example, under 'Windows System Areas' you can create individual security settings for .ocx .hta .vxd .exe .inf .sys and many more file types. Similarly, under 'Internet Explorer', you can effect individual settings for BHOs, Toolbar, Searching, Home Page and Extensions. In other words, PrevX has to be taught your personal prefs just like, say, Zone Alarm. I think that it's well worth looking at. But you'll have to make your own minds up on that one!:-)

Yoda Knight 12:55 20 Apr 05

Hmmm, looks like I'll have to give it a try and make my own mind up. :)

kyprosman 17:26 20 Apr 05

Asked same question click here

dogbreath1 18:48 20 Apr 05

"Have installed prog Prevx and find it to be a very handy utility to accompliment my other antispyware progs" Agreed.

anniel 19:04 20 Apr 05

but since I installed Kapersky AV and Anti Hacker firewall, it conflicts with them. Prevx is working on the problem.

I am concerned about Trojans, as I have only A2 and Ewido free version for detecting them.

I was thinking of buying an Anti Trojan but cannot make my mind up.

Prevx has to be suspended when you install any new programme as it is a real nuisance.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Hands-on with the Star Wars fighting drones you can fly yourself

15 macOS Sierra tips | How to use macOS Sierra: Secret tricks and best new features in Apple's new…