Anyone used Onspeed

2jaycee 19:14 29 Jan 06

Has anyone used Onspeed with dialup connection, if so how do you rate it

GANDALF <|:-)> 19:15 29 Jan 06

click here the forum search is your friend. To precis, the general opinion seems to be that it is not much use.

G

johnem 20:56 29 Jan 06

2jaycee,
I have Onspeed still running as aleft over from my dial up connection. It certainly made for faster browsing. If you are downloading upgrades etc, which are already zipped, then it cannot compress them any further and might even slow things down as you are having to download via a proxy. Auto updates from Microsoft do not seem to be speeded up at all via Onspeed. The latest Onspeed upgrade seems to have cured some of the previous download problems. Whether or not there is any improvement now that I am on 1Mb broadband is probably debateable. Will wait until next renewal before deciding to scrap it.

bluto1 22:10 29 Jan 06

Hi 2jaycee,
like johnem I`ve still got it from my dial up days. There was a very small speed increase in the later days (up to 3 weeks ago) but one thing I`ll always remember is that it did not increase download speeds so it was virtually useless if I wanted to download a huge programme like, for example, World Wind. I`m now just going to let my contract run out.

Stuartli 22:20 29 Jan 06

Asd I've posted many times before, this registry tweak for IE does pretty much the same as ONSpeed (Tiscali offered a similar thing):

click here

By the way it's free...:-)

2jaycee 10:57 30 Jan 06

Thanks everyone for your Input, I found it very useful

Jaycee

Stuartli 11:27 30 Jan 06

I've also stated that it's pretty much a case of the Emperor's new clothes...

If ONSpeed was capable of reproducing broadband speeds on dialup as claimed, no one would take up BB.

rmcqua 11:38 30 Jan 06

I tried it whilst waiting for my local exchange to go ADSL.
Waste of time and money !

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…