Anyone use external backup ?

Rtus 15:49 31 Jul 07

looking for responses from people who use hardware like MAXTOR One Touch III Hard Disk Drive or similar.could anyone give me your views on ease of use ,for backup of system files & the how easy to use it for restoring.I had suggested ghost for a system backup but it seems its too involved for ease of use for a friend of mine.so were now looking for alternatives.This person suffers from lack of time only...so something running automatically would be great as long as it doesnt rob the facilities too much.

Thanks for any input.

mad1234 16:24 31 Jul 07

i use EZBack-it-up which was reccomended to me on a thread i posted a while ago click here. i have it set to backup twice a day. don't know how it is for recovering as a haven't had to yet

alan2273 16:53 31 Jul 07

I have been using Acronis for some years now and it has save my bacon a few times.
It takes you through the save process step by step and to restore you put the Acronis boot disk in (making sure that your CD/DVD is first boot in the BIOS) and follow the instructions.

rawprawn 17:00 31 Jul 07

I agree with alan2273, Acronis is really good. If your friend is short on time he can schedule it to run daily, weekly, or monthly.
Acronis True Image 10
I use it to back up to my external drive and the only draw back that I know of is that if you need to restore from an external HD it takes longer than from an internal drive but no real problem.

rawprawn 17:00 31 Jul 07

I agree with alan2273, Acronis is really good. If your friend is short on time he can schedule it to run daily, weekly, or monthly.
Acronis True Image 10
I use it to back up to my external drive and the only draw back that I know of is that if you need to restore from an external HD it takes longer than from an internal drive but no real problem.

rawprawn 17:01 31 Jul 07

Sorry for the double post (Itchy fingers)

mole44 17:11 31 Jul 07

I have used an external drive for years to backup both my internal drives,i use Norton Ghost to do it, but personel data i save to a pen drive.this to i back up.My family pictures i have 5 copies cos if one copy goes it`s only a pain NOT a disaster.

JoeC 17:18 31 Jul 07

before and when it mattered most (after a meltdown) it would not work properly. I now use a Freecom external hard drive and Norton Save and Restore. Easy to use / backup / restore. Tried Norton Ghost but didn't like it. Have also tried Drive Image XML (free) from
click here
and found it a good free alternative.

Rtus 17:36 31 Jul 07

Thanks .

Rtus 17:57 31 Jul 07

I personally use ghost too. Have for a long time ,it suits me however its too involved for someone thats not totally comfortable with computers.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

20 groundbreaking 3D animation techniques

How to mine Bitcoin on Mac