Is anyone sharing my WiF?

kjrider 12:17 19 Feb 06

Hi there. I have got my Wifi set up and working fine. Have recently had new neighbours and am curious to know if anyone else is sharing my WiFi. If so, I could go and ask them to contribute to the cost of the Broadband.

I know people will tell me to get my WiFi encrypted and make it secure, but is there any way I can tell who else may be using it?

powerless 12:19 19 Feb 06

What router you got?

kjrider 12:48 19 Feb 06

Its a Motorola(802.11g) one and a Netgear one (b).

Forum Editor 13:01 19 Feb 06

with your broadband supplier to charge someone at another address a fee for sharing the connection, so don't do it.

Secure your router, and forget about it.

kjrider 14:58 30 Mar 06

It only applies to some ISP companies.

I am still wondering how to know if my neighbour is using mine. Any Ideas?

Minkey1 21:45 30 Mar 06

If you know the MAC addresses/computer "names" of your kit, your router's configuration page may show a list of connected computers under DHCP table or similar. Look for strange PC's. Irrespective, you are advised to apply proper security. Even if charging someone for a share of your bandwith was not a breach of your ISP's terms - don't do it - you've no idea what they are browsing/downloading, and it's all being logged against your account.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Intel Coffee Lake 8th-gen Core processors release date rumours

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Framestore’s haunting post-WWII title sequence for new BBC series SS-GB

Best iPhone games 2017 | Best iPad games 2017: 162 fantastic iOS games that you need to play right…