Anyone proficient with EaseUs Partition Master 10.0 who can advise step by step?

sydsnott 17:44 06 May 14

Running Vista Ultimate with one 500GB HDD partitioned as follows:-

C: (O.S.) 12.5GB free of 118GB

D: (Recovery) 114GB free of 117GB

It's labeled 'Recovery' but only has empty folders created by MRT.exe! I'm told this can be deleted.

E: (Apps.) 111GB free of 114GB

F: (Data) 35GB free of 116GB

I would like to delete "D:" and expand "F:" into the vacant space.

Similarly, I would like to reduce "E:" and again expand "F:" into the vacant space.

Can I achieve this with the "EaseUs" software, and what's the safest way to do it?

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 18:13 06 May 14

FIRST backup to external drive everything you don't want to loose

You can use either EaseUS or windows own disk management.

1. delete files in d:

2. merge d and e:

3. shrink the new partition

4. merge the unallocated space with f:

5 if necessary assign the dive letters

click here

sydsnott 19:17 06 May 14

Thanks Fruit Bat,

I keep hearing that about Windows disk utility, but I'm also told that it will only extend a partition into vacant space/partition to the right of the subject partition.

I've made an image of my complete system with Acronis True Image... just in case! However, I've never used it "in earnest" so to speak so don't have confidence in it's ability to do what it should!

What you describe was close to what I thought I might need to do, however I had thought to just delete "D:" without first deleting the contained files, expecting it to immediately show up as "Unallocated Space", so I will follow your advice and delete the content leaving "D:" an empty partition.

Either way, since this now free space will sit to the left of "E:", I understand that I will first need to slide the space until it sits to the right of "E:" before I can merge the two together.

Is that correct?

I'm told that this ability to "Slide" the partitions and space around is what Windows Disk Utility lacks hance the need for third party tools.

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 21:06 06 May 14

Acronis will work fine I used in anger on my machine once, but a few times on others without problems other than getting it to find the image file.

Make sure you have created a new rescue media CD since taking the image.

Sure it should merge Ok left or right.

sydsnott 22:15 06 May 14

Thanks for that, sorry if I sound a bit pedantic but I've not tried this before and just get this feeling of imminent doom!

Bit alarmed that you say "Make sure you have created a new rescue media CD since taking the image." I have been under the impression that the Acronis CD is also my rescue disc. I thought that was the advantage of the "Boxed" software.

Not sure I could burn one on this machine as the only RW drive is goosed!

alanrwood 10:06 07 May 14

Are you sure that the D partition is not what it says it is ie the Recovery Partition that contains your Windows recovery files for use if you are re-installing Windows. Of course if you have a set of disks with Windows and all the drivers then it does not matter but it might be a bit of a disaster i9f you delete your only way of reinstalling Windows.

sydsnott 14:37 07 May 14

Hi alanwood, personally, I have no idea regarding "D:" the OS was installed by the IT Manager of the school where I taught for a while. The licence is part of the school's volume allocation and as such I have no way of re-installing it despite the label of the "D:" partition. The only content is empty folders created on an almost monthly basis since 2007.

The folders are all 0 bytes, and have alphanumeric names eg. :- 99d10722e080e818f889 opening a folder (Complaints from UAC!) reveals each has a copy of MRT.exe within!!

Fruit Bat /\0/\ 16:53 07 May 14

If you have the full Acronis DVD /cd then no problem.

I have found in the past that the created rescue media doesn't want to play after image changes.

bumpkin 17:19 07 May 14

" the only RW drive is goosed!" you can use a USB stick instead.

sydsnott 17:40 07 May 14

Hi Fruit Bat, seems the acepted wisdom is that the disk will work as long as you haven't upgraded the build Number of True Image since then! Bumpkin... doh! why didn't I think of that! Thanks.

Thinking about when I created the image, I can't remember if I was offered the opportunity to "validate" and being somewhat cautious, I'm sure that I would have done , had it been offered. I've just gone through the process of creating another image as far as I dare, and there was no option to validate! Could it be that this is a one time selection which is applied to all future images?... something like a tickbox perhaps? I do have a vague recollection of a process commencing at the end of the image creation which estimated the duration of the process I think, in months rather than days or hours!

robintheumpteenth 19:03 08 May 14

Note that some 3rd party tools don't allow restore after partition size has been shrunk. (or maybe I found this with Linux not Windows PE Recovery CDs).

Can't remember exactly now, but I have in my mind that Macrium just said that image wouldn't fit, but Easeus allowed option to resize. (assuming there was a few GB spare on the imaged partition anyway).

Don't know what ATI does regarding this point. Practice by imaging just your useless D:

Then shrink it and try restoring the D: image.

-.-.-.-

Googling MRT.exe suggests it is just part of Malicious Software Removal Tool in Windows Update. I guess it is safe to nuke. If worried, change the drive letter to Z: and see if you get any system complaints over next few weeks. If not, then delete it.

-.-.-.-

Right clicking partitions in Easeus PM gives easy access to functions. Don't forget to apply changes and best to do them one at a time.

-.-.-.-

There is also another vendors tool. Mini-Tool Partition Wizard which is very similar to Easeus PM. But, it also has a free Bootable CD version. Just in case you ever need to mess around when Windows won't boot. click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro 5 News - release date, UK price, features, specs

Microsoft Surface Studio hands-on review: the iMac killer is here

Best Mac antivirus 2017