Anyone noticed AVG opening IE7 page?

Totally-braindead 13:49 04 Dec 07

I've just switched on my PC and I have my AVG free set to autoupdate, while it was starting up I went and made a cup of tea. Imagine my surprise when I found Internet Explorer 7 had opened itself and was advertising AVG Internet Security.

I have to say this has never happened before and I can only assume that this happened as part of the update. I do know I don't like it doing this.

This happened to anyone else?

If this is a one off then fair enough but if they start doing this all time I will be trying something else, its too much like the way spyware seems to work and I am not happy.

MAJ 14:00 04 Dec 07

Yes, just noticed that too, Totally-braindead, it also happens if you manually update. Most annoying.

Technotiger 14:11 04 Dec 07

Hi, yes it happened with me too when I started my pc this morning - it was impossible to remove by simply closing its window. I pressed my re-start button and got rid of it that way. Mine had opened my Firefox! I update my AVG manually on a daily basis.

i find more and more software seems to down this road of advertising, zone alarm, spybot and ad aware to name a few, their behavior is similar to the malware they prevent.

birdface 14:15 04 Dec 07

A few problems with it at the moment.Up-dates will not finish and have to reboot to install them,

mfletch 14:17 04 Dec 07

Very strange I have just done a update and everything is OK no IE or Firefox opening!

mfletch

Totally-braindead 14:22 04 Dec 07

I'm away to run a scan for spyware. I really don't like this, it makes me rather uneasy to say the least.

I'm probably overreacting but bearing in mind it appears to be my anti virus program thats doing it its making me rather nervous. What will they do next if anything?

Totally-braindead 14:54 04 Dec 07

Just finished the scan and just the usual cookies found, didn't really expect to find anything but its nice to confirm it.

Technotiger 15:05 04 Dec 07

I have just run Ad-Aware etc and my 1-click Maintenance, then done a manual AVG update (just the virus data) - upon completion of the update my Firefox automatically opened with an added Open tab (which I did not initiate) showing AVG and inviting me to buy AVG!

I don't like this, if it proves to be a regular feature of AVG I will get rid of AVG and use a different anti-virus program.

Technotiger 15:07 04 Dec 07

Did you do a manual AVG update after your scanning?
If not, could you try it and see if the same thing happens again!

Cheers

mfletch 15:09 04 Dec 07

Although it has not happened to me {yet} I;m with you,

If they are going to start force advertising I will get rid of AVG,

mfletch

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…