Anyone know of a good free cd writing program?

bof:) 10:30 31 Mar 04

Hi All,

A neighbour has a HP computer that has a cd writer in it. There is also a cd wring program but its only function appears to be that of backingup HP data on the HD.

My neighbour is getting a message on bootup (everynow and then) saying there is a fault on her HD does she want it repairing? She ticks yes but within a few days the message appears again.

I've run scandisk as 'thorough' and it has not detected anything. Could this be that the 'repair' has been done?

This is why she is after a 'free' cd writing program, so that she can save all of her data.

I've offered to get the details off the hd and download the HD software to test for any faults but she would like to get the data from the HD if possible.

Many thanks,

Clint2 10:40 31 Mar 04

A selection of freebies can be found click here

Clint2 10:45 31 Mar 04

Or here click here

V1PER 11:11 31 Mar 04

another free cd writing software, click here

bof:) 17:19 31 Mar 04

Thankyou all, I'll download them and have a look.

Many thanks for your help again,

IZZY 17:31 31 Mar 04

You can get a free trial of NERO 6 at

click here

I've no idea how long the trial lasts but it's fully functional and will certainly do the job.

Gongoozler 17:42 31 Mar 04

Since my Nero version 5.0 started having problems with my ASPI files, I have been using NTI CD-Maker Deluxe which was free on the November 2003 PC Advisor magazine cover disk. I find it very reliable and easy to use. If your cd-writer is supported by it, then I would recommend it. Amazon are offering it at only £4.60.

bof:) 00:00 01 Apr 04

Izzy and Gongoozler, thanks for the help. I'll have a look at the Nero site because this is the cd copier I use and I'll search out my November copy of PCA, I'll alos have a look on th Amazon site.

many thanks,

alan2206 00:20 01 Apr 04

Dont know wheather this counts but if you want to keep the trial version of nero working, turn back the clock 15 days,every 15 days, this should keep it working.
I have the nero s/n but as i dont think its wise for me to openly distribute it this fix will have to do you!!!!

alan2206 00:25 01 Apr 04

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…