anyone help me to setup my soundcard

tobyjug472002 06:16 13 Mar 07

I am an active member of camfrog, but the room rules state that music must be played through my soundcard instead of my microphone, can anyone help me set my computer to do this please, its very frustrating to say the least. Realtek soundcard, Xp Home edition SP2, Pentium 4 IGB RAM
Compac Presario desktop PC,
Many thanks
Tobyjug

Gongoozler 07:37 13 Mar 07

Hi tobyjug472002. I don't really understand the rule that you're referring to. You can't hear music through your microphone, only through a speaker or earphone. All sound in or out of your computer (except the POST beep) passes through the sound card anyway. Can you either give us a link to the rules or post a copy of the relevant rule here?

Ho-Lin-Sok 09:21 13 Mar 07

To play any sounds from within your computer rather than have the LSO in your front room playing it you have to record it onto your HDD in a suitable file format. What exactly is it you have to do.

tobyjug472002 12:36 13 Mar 07

many thanks for your replies its just that in most chatrooms on camfrog, if you wish to play music to other members it must come from your soundcardie, play the music from Windows media player 11, but obviously you are able to chat through a microphone, but room rules state music must be through your soundcard...i'm puzzled and i dont think i'm making much sense...i'll copy and paste the rules:
ROOM RULES
::::::; J_______,.,.,.,.___l ( (
;:::::; (_______l l l l l____] ' all black nicks to have full face
,;::::::; ;' *¨¨¨¨¨´* on cam all the times
;::::::::: . ,,,;. l * * /
.';:::::::::::::::::;, l / no underage people to come in the room
,::::::;::::::;;;;::::;,l * /
; :::::: '::::::;;;::::: ,#* /
: ::::::: ;::::::;;::: ;::,# * music is played only through soundcard ****** THIS BIT*******??????????
:: ::::::: ;:::::::: ;::::,# * and only by greens and reds

its something to do with the sound settings but cant suss it at all, i can chat ok to the room, but the music through a soundcard bit has me baffled!!! Anymore help extremely welcomed?

Tobyjug

Fingees 18:21 13 Mar 07

I don't quite understand the rules, but I think it would be easier to just play music from an external device, and send it to the line in. that way it will use the sound card, as the microphone does. but will be direct from the source.

All the best.

Gongoozler 09:08 14 Mar 07

The only rules I could find are these click here. However I suspect that the reason there may be a rule stating that all music is played through the sound card input could be to do with copyright and to prevent the system being used for file sharing.

tobyjug472002 13:10 14 Mar 07

Hi Fingees, i think you have hit the nail on the head by your kind response.....no disrespect to any other welcomed replies...its just setting my soundcard settings up to play music from my PC to the line in perhaps?
Any further help would be gratefully received, as to how i do this?

Regards

Tobyjug

Gongoozler 15:15 14 Mar 07

tobyjug472002, a lot of sound cards will only accept sound from one source at a time, so to change from microphone to line in would require making a change to the settings. Try double-clicking on the loudspeaker icon on the taskbar and see what options you get. You may also get more options via Start - All Programs if your sound card has more advanced features.

tobyjug472002 16:10 14 Mar 07

yes thanks very much m8, i know i will need to make settings changes to my soundcard i just wondered if anyone actually knew what settings to change? Realtek soundcard!

May i change the subject slightly?
A good friend of mine uses Tiscali.co.uk ISP and apparently using Microsoft Vista OS, he cannot connect to the net, even through a router rather than the usual speedtouch USB Modem, any ideas about any possible sites he may, or rather me on his behalf can download any drivers.

Many, many thanks to everyones help, i am a bit of a novice as far as computers go>>>> thick might be more appropriate lol

Cheers
tobyjug

Gongoozler 16:40 14 Mar 07

What is the router? I am with Tiscali and use a Netgear DG384G so I can tell you the settings I have for that.

Regarding the sound card, when I double click on the loudspeaker icon on my taskbar I get the option to adjust the volume and mute all, any or none of the various inputs. Also in Device manager when I right click on my sound card and select Properties - Properties tab, in Mixer Devices for the soundcard I get the option to enable or disable mixer options. You probably have the same option. I haven't tried this but it might be what you're looking for.

Gongoozler 17:06 14 Mar 07

Another question regarding your friends connection. Is the router indicating a connection? Generally a failure to connect is indicated by a flashing light.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Best Design, Illustration, Animation and VFX Awards of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced