Anyone heard of SCANDEV.386

rabadubdub 01:16 21 Apr 03

Anyone heard of this? It's causing a friend's Win98 to fail to start.

Message says Windows cannot load because a file is missing from system.ini - SCANDEV\SCANDEV.386

I've done a MS Knowledge Base search and Computerhope.com search, but nothing found.

Will check back Monday night.

AndySD 01:22 21 Apr 03

Scanner Drivers. Boot into Safe Mode and use msconfig look through for the plustec scanner or SCANDEV.386 and untick it...or remove the scanner from Add/Remove programs.

rabadubdub 01:23 21 Apr 03

Well well, two seconds later I checked Google search and hey presto.. several, if not more, references to the scanner driver.

Sometimes the obvious is under your nose.

Rab

powerless 01:26 21 Apr 03

click here;en-us;126574

Seems the SCANDEV\SCANDEV.386 is something to do with a Primax scanner?

So find the driver on the disc and reinstall it.

Or Start > Copy and Paste:

MSCONFIG

Click "ok" and then click on STARTUP and find something to do with a scanner in the list. If your not sure use this for reference > click here

Remove the tick from the box and click ok and restart.

You'll probably find updated drivers click here

I assuming you have a Primax scanner.

ton 01:26 21 Apr 03

It is a Plustek or Primax scanner driver. I would imagine you could start in safe mode, uninstall the scanner, then restart and reinstall it.

rabadubdub 01:27 21 Apr 03

You really must be bored.

The driver is used for several types of printer. The one in question was a Primax I think.

Thanks anyhoe.

Rab

powerless 01:27 21 Apr 03

Too slow.

rabadubdub 14:17 21 Apr 03

Found the Primax driver site, Powerless, and downloaded. SCSI required, which he has ok. Removed (unchecked box) from MSCONFIG StartUp in anycase to make some progress with loading basics.

New problem followed.. missing AM.EXE. See separate thread.

Thanks again.

Rab

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Amazon Fire HD 8 review: A brilliant combination of function and value – with one massive caveat

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How to create an introvert-friendly workplace

Apple Watch 2 review | Apple Watch Series 2 review: New Apple Watch is faster, brighter, water-resit…