Anyone having problems with Norton AV?

billyliv 00:53 17 Mar 05

Hi, Since 2nd. Feb I have been unable to update Virus definitions through Live Update.( My subscription runs out in JUNE 2005 ) Norton knowledge base doesn't help. Norton says, Uninstal and re-instal Norton AV 2004. This is where the problems begin. In ADD/REMOVE programs I highlight Norton AV and click on Change/Remove. A dialogue box then comes up and says, 'A newer version of Norton AV needs to be removed, click on the link to ADD/REMOVE programs. I am already in ADD/REMOVE programs and cannot find any other references to Norton. I am now in a catch 22 situation. I dont want to re-format my hard drive as it is too much hassle to re-instal all my programs. Anyone else have this prob?. cheers, Bill

p;3 01:11 17 Mar 05

no;but I gave up with Norton, uninstalled it and transferred to the free version of AVG (as recommended by well-respected forum members); I did at one stage get a false error reading with Norton, so decided that enough was enough; I have so far had no problems with AVG; but this may not be the answer you would wish to hear:)

johnhere_uk 01:28 17 Mar 05

This proves PC's are a pain in the bum!
I tried AVG and it would not touch the virus I had.
Got so fed up with trying others that did not work went out and got Norton AV 05 for less than £20 and now no more virus's and no problems!

Sorry cant help with your problem but i have had the same problem with other program that tell you the same but you cant find the dam thing.
If i remember what I did will post it here

VideoSentry 07:44 17 Mar 05

I have problems with Norton as well, the Auto protect is shown as off and the E mail scanning shows 'error'.This is occurring on 2 separate PC's. The site ( as you have said ) is not that helpful but I will later try to re-install NSW and will let you know.

billyliv 00:32 08 Apr 05

Hi, Sorted Norton problem. Got rid of it and installed AVAST. Cheers, Bill

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…