anyone happy with a cheap pc?

fly2hi 20:22 20 Oct 04

The missus keeps saying you can buy a really cheap pc from PCW etc for about 299.00 so why would you want to pay close to a grand for one.

I can't get past stage one of explaining it.
So tell me. Has anyone bought one of these and been really happy with it a few months down the line, or do you wish you'd paid a bit more.

Yes, I can appreciate that some people can only afford 299 and that's better than nothing. On the other hand it's not a 'money's no object situation'. Still a case of can't really afford it but the kids are driving me nuts.

BIG Ben strikes 10 again! 20:32 20 Oct 04

good question fly2hi,i think its not if you have a good computer or not its what you use it for,people time after time brag about there intel pentinum4 3.2ghz cpu,or there amd athlon 64,but at the end of the day what do they use it for?.if you only do your h/w,internet browsing,work ect then why would you need 3GB of RAM?.we bought a tiny computer £300 that is fine for our family my sister does her coursework,my brother plays on miniclip ect and my mum....solitaire,me?.i use my own computer for everything.if you like playing games,videos ect theres no point in spending a small amount of money on something that will do niether of these.thanks.ben

woodchip 20:34 20 Oct 04

You may be bettter having a brows in a computer fair, If you buy get Address etc

Noelg23 20:36 20 Oct 04

how simple do you want it tho? I could probably build one for less if you tell me how much you willing to spend and what you want...its not that hard...I mean like my PC it cost me £900 to build whereas somewhere like PC World would have it for £100 more or so...and it does exactly what I want it to and more...which does help at times...

Noelg23 20:37 20 Oct 04

just email me and I will get you a spec done up so you can see what I mean!

Diodorus Siculus 20:41 20 Oct 04

Try Dell for better value than PCW...

Carpigiani 20:46 20 Oct 04

It's like most things in life. You normally get what you pay for.
It really depends what you want to do with the PC.
If it's just a little word processing, e-mailing, browsing the internet etc then a cheap one would do for a while.
What age are the kids? If they want to play the latest graphics intensive games, work with digital photo's & really use it to the limits then you will need to pay more.
The cheap ones usually have celeron processors & only 128MB of RAM which just won't cope very well with games, scanning documents etc.
Our system had a 40GB HDD, P4 2.4GHZ processor & 512MB DDRAM. After my teenagers got hold of it & installed games, music files etc we promptly needed to install better Graphics & Sound Cards an extra 120GB HDD & doubled the RAM.

I suppose what I am saying is, It is better to go for a higher spec. than you thing you are going to need.

OU812 20:48 20 Oct 04

You can probably get by with a cheap PC, just so long as you are aware of its likely limitations which will usually be found in its lack of good muti-media facilities, by that I mean it will almost certainly have on-board graphics (so your kids can forget about playing any fancy 3D titles) and on-board sound which to be fair while OK these days but is still no match for a dedicated sound card (particuarly in games).

It will probably also be compromised in terms of memory and hard disk space and importantly may come with a cheap (and small) CRT monitor and so so keyboard and other peripherals such as speakers.

I certainly don't think however that you need spend a fortune but if you are prepared to say spend in the region of say £7-800 you can get a much better spec'd PC and one which won't leave you or you kids won't quickly outgrow, if you want to venture past writing email, Internet surfing and doing your family accounts and so forth into other areas that place greater demands on your PC's capabilities.

Al94 20:49 20 Oct 04

My wife bought an emachine from PCW almost a hear ago, £499 inc TFT monitor. 2.5Ghz Celeron with 40 gig hd. It has performed brilliantly with no problems and is perfect for word processing, email and internet which is what it was bought for. You can buy a basic pc for a lot less now and if thats all it's needed for, dont waste money.

woodchip 20:55 20 Oct 04

It's not so much the computer that cost's as the Operating System. That's big lump of £'s if you have not got a CD and licence

Belatucadrus 20:56 20 Oct 04

My first PC was top end specification wise, I then watched technology take off as AMD and Intel went into overdrive and the the prices plummeted. When I replaced it, I got an end of line Medion cheap from Dabs via Freeserve auctions. I have never regretted it and have no intention of paying the premium required for the 'latest thing' again.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…