Anyone figured out the Vista Outbound firewall?

six-h 00:28 02 Mar 09

I've just managed to find the blessed thing, and (chocolate teapot time) it's default config. is allow all traffic!!

Having said that, How to configure a workable regieme utterly defeats me.

Read some about this "snap-in" click here but not sufficiently clever to evaluate it.

Anyone managed to get outbound properly set up, or is the consensus "bin it and use Comodo"!!?

rdave13 00:32 02 Mar 09

Bin it and use PC Tools firewall plus; click here

tullie 02:05 02 Mar 09

Its not hard to find if you look in Control Panel!
I dont use it,but some do and are happy with it.Im sure someone will point you in the right direction regarding configeration.

jimv7 10:32 02 Mar 09

Vista firewall control click here as an add-on to vista firewall, it allows you to see whats incoming or outgoing and the ability to control it.

six-h 15:48 02 Mar 09

jimv7;
Already read that, as advised.
Do you use Windows firewall, and have you used the Sphinx snap-in to configure outgoing traffic??

jimv7 15:59 02 Mar 09

Using it now on vista and win7. unobtrusive and works.

six-h 16:15 02 Mar 09

Thanks jimv7, I've read both good and bad reports on this snap-in, some say they have experienced system slowdown, others have said that the changes made using it though effective, do not appear in the Windows Firewall interface, ergo it is effectively a seperate piece of software, not a snap-in.
I don't fully understand what that means, but suspect it's akin to having installed a seperate firewall.
If that's so, wouldn't we be better off just binning the Windows one completely, and going for something like Comodo or ZA??
How long have you been using it in Vista?

jimv7 17:14 02 Mar 09

About 3 months on vista and on win 7 since it was available, no problems on either.

six-h 17:33 02 Mar 09

Thanks jimv7, I'll give it a go!
You're brave, trying "7" lol

jimv7 17:46 02 Mar 09

Not really brave, its on my main puter, with all I need backed up on other drives and on dvd, I have used the beta versions since win 98', if it fails i'll reload with xp.

six-h 18:05 02 Mar 09

jimv7:
Just bought ATI Home and installed it today...about 7 months late, but at least I'll have an image of my system whilst it's working sweetly!!
I've never used TI in ernest, so I don't know if I'd feel "Bomb proof" even then lol.
But it mught encourage me to try Ubuntu on a live CD!...Windows 7 would be a step too far at the mo!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…