Anyone come across this scam?

TommyRed 23:22 18 Feb 05

Posted an advert on a site to sell my late Fathers car. Haven't been that concerned about selling it cos I've been too busy lately. Anyhows, got an e-mail yesterday morning from someone asking if the car was still for sale and at what price. Replied yes and the price was £1749, received another e-mail saying 'his client' had mistakenly made the check out for £4500 so he'd trust the money to me if I could return the overpayment to him. Oh, he also was going to give me £50 for the hassle. So if I could e-mail him with my Full Name, address and contact numbers he'd wire the money to me. Sounds like a Yank especially the way he'd spelt cheque (check).
Anyone ever heard of this before, and who can I forward details to ie Police, AA, RAC ? TR

SANTOS7 23:28 18 Feb 05

If there actually deploying this from somewhere that is detectable they deserve to be reported, Fraud squad might be a good place to start

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:28 18 Feb 05

It is a scam, do not reply to it in any way.

click here

click here

TommyRed 23:50 18 Feb 05

Justed posted relevant details on site run by trading stantards and dti called 'Rip-off Tip-off' click here I'd suggest posting any other scams on here. TR

THE TERMINATOR 01:19 19 Feb 05

Now I have, thanks to you TR....TT

FelixTCat 07:34 19 Feb 05

The scam relies on the time it takes to clear a foreign cheque. The bank will clear it "subject to funds", you send the excess money back and two - three weeks later the bank tells you that the foreign cheque bounced. You have lost money and possibly the car.

Stuartli 09:34 19 Feb 05

Out of dozens of attempts the fraudsters are fully aware that greed will always bring in one or two suckers who fall for such scams....

Buchan 35 20:37 19 Feb 05

You did exactly the right thing in coming here with it. Some of our members may not know about this type of scam and you`ve alerted them. I hope they read your thread

Bingalau 21:52 19 Feb 05

Yes..thanks again I have read and noted the details too and will also notify friends ..The more that know about these rip-offs the better...

stalion 21:59 19 Feb 05

you report it to the Trading standards
click here

steven_frost 22:07 19 Feb 05

I had this to reported the prat to his isp been told that his now been deleted silly boy. to be honest its an old one it's done the rounds on ebay a few people got caught out on it

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…