Anybody use ONSPEED

Durko 12:52 15 Aug 07

Anyone signed up to ONSPEED to accelerate their internet connection and is it effective as PC Advisor's Gold review?

click here

Any thoughts appreciated before I invest.

Durko

johnem 13:10 15 Aug 07

I have been using Onspeed for the last two years, firstly with a dial up connection and then laterly with a 1meg broadband.
It does work and appears to speed up downloads etc.
There are a few sites that will not work with Onspeed activated. Once you find these, just disable Onspeed for that particular site. On some sites, Onspeed will actually slow down the download speed. That may just have been my computer, not too sure.
I have chosen not to renew at the moment, but I am sure that you will not be dissapointed with the results.

I use it for a dial up connection when on the road with my laptop,using my mobile phone as a modem,this works very well.
I tried it with my BB connection but found it slowed the connection.

holme 13:25 15 Aug 07

In general, we found ONSPEED did exactly what it said on the tin and, on general website access, gave /at least/ the 5x speed-up expected, and often very much higher, which is excellent news for dial-up surfers.

However, where it is of little or no value is where an item being uploaded or downloaded is either already compressed (e.g. a zipped folder) or does not lend itself to further compression (e.g. a JPEG format image). In these cases, there may even be a slight performance reduction.

So overall, for general day-to-day use over a long period, you may get an /average/ speed-up of, say, 2x to 3x. Still very worthwhile at that price though and well recommended. HTH.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos