Anybody still with a 2Mbps contract and Aol?

Diemmess 18:24 18 May 08

Briefly I have "Always been with Aol."
My contract is currently 2Mbps @£9.99/month

In early March at peak hours, and at this moment the download speed has collapsed almost to dialup standard. This link to the March troubles is slightly off this question, but I include it just to show it is not really a local phenomenon. click here

Worse, I am now supposed to be helping an elderly man set up a refurbished computer (XP Home and Aol)and see him go to Broadband for the first time.

He is used to the way that Aol manages his email and other things as am I.
I don't think that Aol is alone in these sort of slow periods (a few days and peak times) but I would like to hear of other's experience and if anyone suggests an alternative ISP please do so only if you have had totally impeccable service over say at least the past year?

Totally-braindead 18:39 18 May 08

I think Gandalfs advice on the subject might be the most relevant. See what the people who live about you use, how good their service is and what the offer is.
The reason I say that is it seems to me to greatly depend on the area you live in, some suppliers are really poor in area A but good in area B and vice versa.
I was with Tiscali but after about £20 of phone calls to their so called help line and the pack of lies they eventually told me as well as being knocked off for a fortnight I really wouldn't recommend them.
I with plus now and have found the connection speed consistant and stable. I get about 3-3.5 meg connection on my up to 8 meg line and that seems reasonable to me as I am a fair distance from the exchange.
Customer service is good and is UK based.
Only thing with them is you have to setup your connection manually as they don't do a disk, wasn't a problem for me but could be for some.
Heres their site click here

RobCharles1981 18:46 18 May 08

No more AOL for me never again will I be using them again.

I would be pleased to recommend an Entanet reseller such as Falconnet, UK Based Support from Mims Talsi :-) generous usage allowance no traffic shaping or throttling 8 Meg Max Speeds 30 Day ,monthly contracts what more do you want?

My Speedtest now:

click here

Never slows down day or night.

realist 21:10 18 May 08

I likewise have "always been with AOL".

We hit a bad patch with slow speeds a while back so I called them (0844 499 5555) and got put on their "up to 8Mps" wireless broadband (you don't have to be wireless) with a free router (you don't have to use it). They charged me £9.99 a month for first 6 months, then £14.99, on an 18 month contract. Speeds picked up after a few days and were reasonable.

Recently we've been put onto the new server and speeds have been better, around 6Mps average, using the old BT Voyager 105 modem.

I'll be staying with AOL as I find it easy and convenient to use as do other family members.

Diemmess 12:23 19 May 08

Had a long conversation on that number with "Gavin"
It seems a lot depends on whether your exchange has or is LLU something to do with the presence or absence of Aol equipment on that exchange.
With BT providing all services Aol is not able to reduce the charge as they can where there is a local loop.

There was more, including a hint that cheaper for more packages are on the way in the next few months.
The only carrot offered was that I could have up to 8 Mbps AND free phone calls for a new contract (18 months) @ £14.99.
He said having checked, that my line could deliver 8.1Mbps

Totally-braindead,
I believe like you, that speeds may differ depending to all sorts of local reasons. Most of the time my connection is OK at 1.75+ and then all of a sudden after six weeks it fell to 192 Kbps for some hours.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Here's what should be coming to Adobe Project Felix in 2017

Apple AirPods review: Apple's beautiful new Bluetooth headphones bring true intelligence to…