Anybody make a good case......for a case?

Bailey08787 16:22 24 Apr 03

I've recently posted a thread or two concerning case temperatures, cooling, noise etc. I feel that the current case my system is housed in is insufficient for my system spec. So I've been trying to decide which case to invest in. But no matter where I look, there doesn't seem to be any definitive advice/recommendations.

I've looked at plenty of different models, with a variety of attributes and price ranges, but I'm still completely unsure as to what to for, as a lot of the time, these reviews aren't current (or not even dated at all). For example, I have read many reviews on the Coolermaster ATC-201, which gets reviewed well, but back in Dec 2001 - so for all I know, this model has been superseded by far better, more affordable models since - but there doesn't seem to be any structure to the case reviews.

Therefore, I'm hoping someone out there (that's you) knows of a reliable site/magazine, that lists the best cases on the market at present - perhaps listing them in a top ten table - perhaps split into categories like 'best cooling', 'best noise reduction', 'best looks', 'best price', etc.

My personal desire is a case that keeps things cool, has a good airflow/fans, but sounds quiet. Hoped I'd be able to spend about £50-60, but willing to pay £120 for a case thats worth it

Many thanks

MartinT-B 16:45 24 Apr 03

Mine is a Lian-Li PC61B and she's GORGEOUS.

Jet black aluminium, with a perspex panel and blue lights inside.
Similar one click here

Full list click here

It has a removable tray, making MoBo installation a doddle.

MartinT-B 16:48 24 Apr 03

Latest reviews I could find

click here

click here

Munkeysbum 17:00 24 Apr 03

Why is your current case inadequate for your needs?
After all I would have thought that the performance of the machine would be more important than the appearance of the packaging, but that said, if you have nothing better to waste your money on then go ahead, get the best looking case.
Personally I would choose the BT Acrylic 84B at £110 for the best effect.

MartinT-B 17:06 24 Apr 03

What a rude response.

Bailey08787 clearly states "I feel that the current case my system is housed in is insufficient for my system spec.", in fact, it's the 2nd sentence.

What's wrong with giving the recommendation and keeping your personal opinions to yourself?

Munkeysbum 17:11 24 Apr 03

Sorry, no offence intended.

Paranoid Android 17:18 24 Apr 03

PC World are currently doing an aluminium case with a very large (120mm) exhaust fan. Very impressive setup for ventilation.

In general, go for a case with the largest fans available. 92mm is good, 120mm is better. This is because they spin slower and make less noise per cubic foot of airflow.

Bailey08787 17:20 24 Apr 03

Thanks for the comments so far

My system started as a PII 400mhz, with a 16mb GPU, and 32mb ram.

Over the years, it has now become a P4 1.8ghz, with a 128mb GPU, and 768mb rdram - but without me adding any extra cooling to the initial set-up.

My understanding of fans and cooling is not great, but I think my current set-up constitutes a need for more cooling than what i have at present - a psu fan, and a cpu fan.

Added to this, I've just whipped the fan off my GPU and added a Zalman ZM80A-HP heatpipe cooler, which (now that the GPU fans have gone) has increased case temperatures even further.

Hope that explains my initial thread

Tenner 17:52 24 Apr 03

A fellow member recommended the following site to me after I posted a very long site address.

Although you might not need it for pca threads, it could be usseful elsewhere

click here

Hope this is of use

Offline 17:54 24 Apr 03

Blue Lights... Shudder. ;-)

Sunny-275842 18:08 24 Apr 03

ive ordered a case from the overclocking store but it still aint arrived yet been 2wks :'( they said it take 1 to 3 days for free deivliery! i ordered the Lian Li PC65b :D

its pure black no silver side trims and later some red led fans goes nicely with that when my case EVENTULLY comes! :D

P.S. MartinT-B did you order your case from The Overclocking Store? how long did it take for you to get it?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Battlefield 1 review: Destructive environments, phenomenal graphics and an emotional campaign make…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Microsoft HoloLens hands-on review

How to use System Preferences in macOS Sierra (and Mac OS X): Complete guide to personalising the…