Anybody know how to use Netstumbler?

six-h 00:15 01 Feb 08

I downloaded this software to find out which channels were used by other nearby networks that are dragging my speed down.
When I run it, it stops "Wireless Zero" and thus disables my internet connection meaning I cannot have it running in the background whilst I surf the net.
Consequently I can only sit and stare at it till it detects another network, then note the channel no to avoid in future.
I'm sure there is much more to it than this,and would like to understand a little more.
Any Netstumbler experts out there??

xania 08:44 01 Feb 08

You might find what you need here click here

birdface 09:27 01 Feb 08

It could be your wireless card according to this.click here

Dipso 16:42 01 Feb 08

This seems to be a limitation with the Prism card. Just for you ;) I have just tested it out on the old Medion upstairs. Like you I found I couldn't access the net when I had Netstumbler running even if I disabled the scanning feature. However, when I run it on my laptop with a built in Intel PRO Wireless card, I can surf away whilst surveying for wireless AP's in the area.

six-h 22:46 02 Feb 08

Thanks for confirming that I'm not alone!!
It would be convenient to be able to let it sit in the background and sniff out any signals that are too near!
So far I seem to have three near networks, occupying channels 1, 6 and 11.
They all adversely affect my Link quality and downward bandwidth, but with their established spread, it is not possible for me to distance myself from someone by more than one empty channel!
I'm currently on 13, and sometimes my inbound bandwidth drops from around 2800 to 700 or worse!
buteman:
Thanks for that link, I've read it, and will need to read it a few more times before it's wisdom penetrates;-) but I'm sure it will be helpful!
xania:
Thanks for the link to their forums, form past experience of the "Netgear" forums, I've found them to be somewhat unforgiving, even hostile, toward newbie numbskulls like me, so I'll just browse!!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Surface Pro (2017) vs Surface Pro 4

Where HTML5 is headed next

MacBook Pro v Surface Pro 5