Anybody A+ Certified in here?

Elrond 17:27 09 Jan 03
  Elrond 17:27 09 Jan 03

Just wondering if any one is certified and if you are would you mind sharing your exam experience? I'm teaching myself through a pretty hefty A+ self study book looking to take the exams in the summer and maybe move on to further certification i.e MCSE or similar. Also has this certifaication helped you get a job? Just wondering what the prospects are. Thanks for your time.

Elrond

Pilch.... 17:38 09 Jan 03

hardware exam for it but failed the software.

Problem for me was i was doing it at college and we where the first people to do it and so where the test people which is why we done it for free.....

done the exam 4 months after we should of done it, as they couldnt get test machines going, missed the deadline for when they upgraded the course and had to learn new material....

that was my experience and i would do it again, but cant afford to do so whilst studying for a degree, but i did learn a lot of things that i use nowaday's, like dos commands, which there is no use for in XP!

Elrond 19:08 09 Jan 03

Anymore?

recap 19:49 09 Jan 03

Sorry haven't done the A+ but have done 4 tracks of the MCSE. With the MCSE I would recommend that you get hands on experience with this one. You can grasp some of the information from books but as a chap found out on the course I was on that just wasn't enough.

It is recommended that you have at least a years experience with working in a W2K server environment before undergoing any type of exam. I have been lucky as the job I am doing now I work with W2K servers so I get the hands on work. Good books to read from are published by Sybex, very user friendly reading.

As for helping get a job the more qualifications you attain should always help in the job market. But like I said hands on experience would be benificial.

Paroxetine 19:52 09 Jan 03

Am A+ certified and also worked to MCP status with 3 MCP exams already completed.

Must say I found the course a little bit simple at times, and you have to remember that no matter how much you think you know, the book will tell you more. I think that self study is the right approach to A+ as it gives you time to look things up and work at your own pace. Its also more cost effective over doing a classroom course where the topic isn't that hard to grasp.

Regarding the exams, don't think that you will know it all, cos the topics I got were old such as ISA mobo's and 486 systems coming up.

That said though, it hasn't got me a job - yet. Reason being that where i live in the south west there is not a great deal of IT jobs going and the industry locally is not recruiting large amounts of IT personnel, in fact more the opposite. Its worth bearing in mind that the more courses you do the more defined your career is going to become. People will not want to employ someone that over qualifies for the job so its worth looking around the area (career wise and geographically) that you want to work in and see what you can bring to it in the short term and then build upon in the long term.

Hope this is of some help, and good luck with the study. Don't be afraid to ask questions on the topics it covers or to take apart your computer to understand things better! :D

P

Elrond 20:19 09 Jan 03

I was reading on Comptia's web that the the test can last as long as it wants, obviously not going past the max 30mins. Is this a case of you get cut off if you're doing terrible or good? Also i find it odd that the next question you get will depend on the answer you give in the previou question. Does this work to any advantage or doe try to make the tst harder if you going great?

Elrond 22:20 10 Jan 03

Any more for anymore?

Taran 22:39 10 Jan 03

I can't say I've found A+, MCSE or four MCP's of great personal value; I am not in the mainstream employment market however, so don't think for a moment that I'm damning the qualifications and what they are and involve.

They will certainly do you no harm in terms of increasing your employment prospects, but don't think they will guarantee a position either.

Of all of them I think the MCSE has been the most useful to me but not by much. But like I've said, I am not in the mainstream employment market; I am self employed for the most part and also lecture part time at large college so the qualifications are not as in demand since I am my own boss most of the time.

I'd suggest you may like to consider CISCO once you have A+ cracked. Very useful, if that is the direction you would like to go in of course.

Stick with it.

It can only be of benefit.

Good luck

Taran

Elrond 13:09 11 Jan 03

Thanks Taran. I realise that one certificate will not be the be all and end all of getting a job. I actually scoured a few of the jobs websites yesterday looking at what sorts of things were available and only one job mentioned A+ being useful. However, a job that has everything to do with the stuff learnt from A+ is still very relevent even if A+ isn't mentioned. I've really got into learning the material and feel a lot more confident in my approach to computers and troubleshooting already. I am at present also teaching myself Visual Basic 6.0, Java 2 and C++. VB 6.0 is actuallly quite easy. Java and C++ though. Phewee, a lot to learn and understand there. But still that's what makes me want to learn even more.

Taran 14:06 11 Jan 03

That's the right approach you have there.

Self taught skills are very valuable; in certain circumstances they are more valuable than a specific qualification.

In most cases you will get to first base in terms of job interviews based on relevant qualifications and/or experience. Many IT jobs now also feature a skills test where you will have to demonstrate what you can do within the expected parameters of the job.

As long as you can get to this stage or the face to face questions and answers of an interview, you can then show that you have learned and can use skills to a certain level on top of those subjects and topics you have pursued academically.

Nobody is expected to know everything, but if you have a level of ability in a subject and can intelligently verbalise this, you are in a strong position. Being able to answer a question, or being able to explain where you would find the answer if you don't actually know it are vital skills. There's nothing wrong with saying "I don't know", as long as you can demonstrate how you would find out how where or why.

Keep in mind that the people at the other side of the interview table want to know how you think, how you will tackle a problem when it is put before you, and how adaptable (or not) you appear to them.

Good luck with your studying.

Regards

Taran

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…