Any windows updates that you should not install

Bally 2k4 17:41 20 Jan 04

After agreeing to update throung windows update site i was confroned by my friend at work who started chtting about some updates you should not intall- are they any that you should not install? Please could you tell me and give me the number which goes with it- like k*********.

Thanks in advance

powerless 17:44 20 Jan 04

All of 'em are OK to install - Generally.

You could through each one to see if your system specifically needs the update.

Bally 2k4 17:45 20 Jan 04

Thanks, i read the description and just downloading the critiical one that i needed after its scan.

Chegs ® 17:49 20 Jan 04

The only updates I tend to ignore are the drivers,especially if my puter is running ok with its present ones.I tried M$ updated drivers for my soundcard,puter crashed,NIC,puter refused to reboot,SATA hdd,XP kept losing data after reboots until finally failed to reboot with error message about config.sys/ntldr/hd0,etc and needing regular repair.

Bally 2k4 17:58 20 Jan 04

Chegs ® i will keep in min that dont update drivers thanks.

johnnyrocker 18:04 20 Jan 04

in general critical updates are just that and ok to d/load as previous definately advisable to stay away from drivers because they very rarely work or are older than those on board.

johnny.

hoverman 18:07 20 Jan 04

I agree from experience - avoid all drivers from Windows Update.

Bally 2k4 07:23 21 Jan 04

Thanks and i will do!

stlucia 08:56 21 Jan 04

As a general rule, I would only install a Windows update if I know it cures a bug which is affecting me, or if I know it has a new feature I want. Using those parameters, I've only ever installed the Win 98 fixes for HDD size limitations.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This stop-frame animation tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…