Any uses for firewire other than video tranfer?

newearwax 17:41 31 May 04

The heading is self-explanatory. I have heard of firewire but know little about it so want to be educated.

VoG II 17:45 31 May 04
  Sir Radfordin 17:52 31 May 04

Not really no.

File transfer is about all it has been used for and even that has been fairly limited. It didn't catch on and USB 2.0 is now quicker so that has taken over.

Remember when I last bought a new PC it was looking like the next 'new' thing and so I made sure I got a firewire port. Haven't used it...ever!

newearwax 18:25 31 May 04

Thanks both. Intersting as one manuf'r seems to be putting an extra firewire port in in place of 1 or 2 USB2s and upping the price.

Kate B 18:25 31 May 04

My iPod is connected to my PC via Firewire, as is my external hard disk. Lots of peripherals now use USB 2.0, which is a tad faster, but Firewire has its uses ..

Firewire....i have never used my firewire port on the front of my machine. USB 2.0 is quicker, more universal and backwards compatible, don't bother getting it (FW). It had its opportunity but never really grabbed any market share, much like various other good technologies over the years!

Totally-braindead 19:06 31 May 04

I too have never used my firewire and to be honest all my USB peripherals are USB 1 not USB 2.0 but when and if I replace anything I will definately be looking for USB 2.0. The only person I know who has used his firewire is in to digital movies.

Smiler 20:15 31 May 04

Seems like video transfer but I do have a scanner (Epson 3200) which links by firewire or usb. Faster transfer when scanning at high resolutions and less strain on the usb ports.

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…