Any users' views? Wireless router

Dumble452 08:51 21 Jun 04

Has anyone experience of this? click here

or others.

Bowsprit 09:09 21 Jun 04

Have a look at the 55 views of the people that bought one.That should help. click here

Dumble452 09:13 21 Jun 04

Missed that, but I would still value the views of contributors on here who may know of something better.

Ask ten people and you will probably get ten different answers - but here is my pennyworth.
My desktop and laptop both use Windows 98 2nd edition and, as I already have BT Broadband, I decided to stick with BT. So a BT Voyager 2000 wireless router now connects me to a telephone socket via a filter. My laptop connects wirelessly to the router via a BT Voyager 1020 Laptop Adapter. The adapter slides into the card slot on the side of my laptop. My desktop computer connects wirelessly via a BT Voyager 1010 via a USB port. My desktop or laptop can go on the internet either separately or at the same time, so sharing my single broadband connection. I can also exchange data wirelessly between both machines - which very handy.
The BT Voyager 2000 router comes with a built-in firewall and modem. I have the firewall set on high, and I also have WEP (Wired Equivalent Privacy) set up for extra security. Though WEP is not supposed to be totally secure it is better than nothing. It should at least stop a neighbour of average computer knowledge from using me as a hot spot and gaining use of the internet at my expense.

Dumble452 10:34 21 Jun 04

I don't seem to be able to find a straight forward answer to this question from the sites I have visited.

In order to avoid having to pay Telewest £75 to move their box, and to have a more flexible system in the future, can I connect my cable modem to a wireless router and have my PC in a different location?

The on-line manuals I have looked at seem to indicate that a cable connects the router to the main PC and wireless connection is then used for satellite PCs. Is this correct?

I only have one PC so I am not considering setting up a network as such at present.

My BT Voyager 2000 router is downstairs, my desktop is upstairs, and I often take my laptop out into the garden. So my router is definitely a standalone. Because the router has an inbuilt modem, I no longer need my cable modem. With the router switched on, I am free to choose which machine I use - I don't need to use a host/main computer wired to the router and switched on to form a gateway to the internet. I'm not familiar with Telewest, so I don't know if you can simply plug in the BT router straight into Telewest's socket. As BT owns the telephone wires and exchange system, it may be possible?

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…