any use in a vista forum?

johnnyrocker 18:05 25 Nov 07

as i notice more and more vista/networking users are using the help forum instead of directing questions to their relevant help forums.

johnny.

sunny staines 18:59 25 Nov 07

i've mentioned this before as I was surprised they were not moved to the vista forum.
I now think people get a better response in the help forum as opposed to the less read forums.

johnnyrocker 19:04 25 Nov 07

it would seem so

johnny

anskyber 19:14 25 Nov 07

I think it's probably just choosing the simplest option rather than being specific.

How do you know Vista forum is less read by users of Vista?

wotbus@ 19:20 25 Nov 07

I think it's because Helproom comes up as default: The box is waiting and takes the eye away from the list of forums available. I have made the same mistake in the past. Maybe the site could modify the page a bit with a "Choose your Forum First" line somewhere, in red, flashing, with sound...but agree it would be better to keep things in the right place from the start without FE having to move stuff around.
Other things I have done wrong include:
Not searching the forums first and checking my own posts to see if I have (a) asked the question before! and (b) ticked as resolved those which have been.
I have posted Vista questions in Vista recently, and Network in the past and the response was almost immediate so I don't think it's a time thing - just users not really appreciating what they have to do, for the first time ;-)
I think you stand a better chance of low response time by posting in the correct place - as that's where the subject geeks hang out most of the time :-)

wotbus@ 19:22 25 Nov 07

Maybe this thread should be in Speakers Corner ;-)

sunny staines 19:32 25 Nov 07

anskyber

perhaps not so much with vista but networking problems get a better response in "help", I think the beginners forum could scrapped and their questions go into the help forum.

wotbus@ 08:43 26 Nov 07

agree sunny staines.

johnnyrocker 10:50 27 Nov 07

i shall leave it another day but it is a bit like in the wind as posters still do it...

johnny

anskyber 11:16 27 Nov 07

Absolute Beginners always confuses me, I find them harder to answer than any other forum. :-))

johnnyrocker 11:53 27 Nov 07

the same seems evident there but they could be forgiven as the forum title says

johnny

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is ransomware and how do I protect my PC from WannaCry?

What I learned from my mentor, Oscar-winning VFX supervisor Phil Tippett

Siri vs Google Assistant