Any tips on building a new PC?

Smartfish 20:58 19 Oct 04

I have been considering building my next PC and the PCA poll has reawakened the desire!

I am planning to build from scratch (put components together) something that is quite 'high-end', so it lasts me a little while. Don't want to be spending more than a £500.

I also don't want a fantastic graphics card (so that should help costs since thats one of the most expensive buys) - £100-£150?

Can anyone advise on where I can look for research?

Other spec details would be AthlonXP 3000? 1Gb DDR. It should be fully upgradable...

Also does anyone know much about the new motherboards for PCI graphics cards?

Thanks

Cook2 00:37 20 Oct 04

click here Products - Upgrade solutions where you'll find three routes to go down. I recently did a 'barebones system' for a friend and used his existing floppy, HD, CD-RW etc. Fired up first time and easier than building from scratch.

Cook2 00:37 20 Oct 04

click here Products - Upgrade solutions where you'll find three routes to go down. I recently did a 'barebones system' for a friend and used his existing floppy, HD, CD-RW etc. Fired up first time and easier than building from scratch.

Noelg23 09:12 20 Oct 04

you can also try click here never fails.

GibsonSt19 11:36 20 Oct 04

or do any serious overclocking, get yourself a decent sized case, (click here to see the cases I really like), get some decent thermal compound (pref Silver Thermal), get yourself a decent heatsink fan (click here).

Oh, and of course decent hardware :)

Smartfish 15:32 26 Oct 04

Thanks people,

To get the best prices I would probably need to search several places for different components (also if there out of stock...)

Can anyone suggest best places to look when it comes to compatibility? For example, for memory, crucial.com are quite good. Manufacturer websites are always that helpful.

Cook2, u seem to love Novatech! How would u say they are? I don't want to create an account with another retailer cos I'm with quite a few already (inc. ebuyer as others hav shown!).

Thanks

PsiFox 15:43 26 Oct 04

Try and find local retailers if possible. Makes warranty issues much quicker to resolve than net purchases.

PsiFox

€dstowe 16:24 26 Oct 04

Whenever you are using screws and a screwdriver, hold the screw on to the screwdriver with some Blue Tack (or chewing gum). This will prevent hours of frustration trying to retrieve tiny screws that have disappeared into the depths of your machine.

joseph K 16:34 26 Oct 04

For cost awareness go here click here press on the configurator on the left and see how much they would charge you for putting it together. I have always found their prices to be very competative and therefore I am a regular customer.

Obviously by building the computer yourself you should aim at a silightly lower price.

joseph K 16:38 26 Oct 04

Having done the above 'Configure your own PC' is then on the righ hand side.

Dorsai 17:41 26 Oct 04

If you find that the budget will not streach far enough to get a certian item you really want, check to see if the old part from you PC will work in the new build (EG you want a 200GB hard drive, but can only streach to 80) rather than cut corners and buy somthing less that you wanted (the 80GB HDD). The other option, is, of course, going over-budget.

Then in a month or two, you can save up the extra dosh, and get the part you really wanted, rather than regret buying somthing you felt to be second best.

Ieal areas for this are CD-rom's/HDD/Graphics/sound cards etc. You can always upgrade them later, when finances permit. That way you can concentrate the funds on the mobo/CPU/Case/Memory (the heart of the system). The better 'whatever' can alweays go on the x-mas list....

That's how i do it, anyway.

Have fun though, it is satisfying when you fianlly hit the button and it springs into life..

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Best Christmas Agency Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…