Any reason NOT to upgrade XP Home to XP Pro?

TomJerry 15:50 01 Apr 04

I know many reasons to upgrade XP home to XP Pro.

Are there any reasons NOT to upgrade? I want to know the technical reasons, not the cost.

I have home on Laptop and Pro on desktop.

GANDALF <|:-)> 15:55 01 Apr 04

Unless you are developing websites or using encryption I cannot think of a single reason to 'upgrade'...thinking about it if you were developing websites you would be using another programme and if you needed encryption there are better methods than the XP pro offering. Can't think of a single reason to 'upgrade'.

click here and see if you can see a single reason to change.

G

jim1947 16:08 01 Apr 04

After I "upgraded" from home to pro I had all sorts of problems, the worst was losing DMA on all my drives, which resulted in my HD's running in PIO mode only, causing a verrrrrrrrry slow system. Reverted back from a backup to Home edition and decided to wait until I need a clean install and then to go with Pro to see how it is.

Sir Radfordin 16:26 01 Apr 04

There is very little difference between Home and Pro unless you are doing very certain things - web design being one, working in a domain environment is another.

The underlying code is the same and most of the functions in Pro are in Home.

What reasons do you have to upgrade? My view is there aren't any as you would use Pro for something very different.

Stuartli 17:56 01 Apr 04

If you visit the Microsoft.com website and go to the XP home page all the benefits of both systems are clearly detailed.

click here

XP Pro is geared towards business use and has greater security and networking attributes - you may not require them.

Spanglish 18:36 01 Apr 04

I use both ( Home at Home and Pro at work ) , as mentioned above if you are not into the "web lark" stick to the Home version and spend the money on a night out!
BA

jz 19:48 01 Apr 04

Why is XP Pro better for web design?

TomJerry 19:48 01 Apr 04

No point to spend time on upgrade then.

Sir Radfordin 20:03 01 Apr 04

No better for web design buy you get IIS which will allow you test locally.

Aristocatman 21:03 01 Apr 04

Well I upgrade & would never go back! but Have a network of 4 computers XP home to me was a Eunuch of a system all the good bits were missing or didn't work even the Help was more of a lead lifebelt than usual especially a problem with OEM versions even less works & no CD Rom to get the missing bits from!

computernerdiamnot 10:53 02 Apr 04

Windows XP pro supports networking more than XP home well it supposed to i would only think it would benefit someone running a office say with a load of computers hooked up than what you would have at home.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Pantone Colour of the Year 2017 is Green

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…