Any problems with Nvidia 6600GT

sputnick 20:51 16 Jan 06

After reading threads, I bought a 6600GT graphics card from Dabs. I installed and everything worked fine for a week, then the display failed.
I re-fitted my old card to check the system was still ok and it was so I returned card to Dabs.
( the probs I had with refund in previous thread)
I am now not sure whether I should get the same card as I have been looking at the Nvidia forum and there seems to be some question as to the rating of the PC power supply required and also the cooling of the card.
I have a 400watt PSU. I do not do any serious gaming.
Do you think I should still go for the same card??

Softstag 20:58 16 Jan 06

I have been using a 6600GT for some time. No problems, it's been a good card. I use a 600W PSU, but I can't see that you should need one so powerful. If the card has a power socket on it, make sure you connect it to the PSU!

BigRik 21:40 16 Jan 06

Like Softstag, I'm also using a 6600GT with no problems. The card has been overclocked as well and I've only got a 300W PSU!

hzhzhz 22:05 16 Jan 06

nvidia recommends a 350-420 watt psu for an entry level sli system with 2x 6600gt's, so I would think your 400w would be fine for 1. Im now using 2x 6600gt's in sli with a Coolermaster 450w PSU. Ihaven't had any probs so far with the 6600gt's. They are a good card in my opinion.

Methedrine 23:20 16 Jan 06

I also have a 6600GT running with no problems.

My advice to you is to put this experience down to "Sod's Law" and don't let it put you off from buying a top notch card.

Totally-braindead 01:06 17 Jan 06

You don't mention what make of card you have had. I personally have had 2 non branded/own make graphics card cause endless problems, hence now I only but branded cards. I have this now click here admitadly this is a PCI Express card but you don't mention whether you are looking for a PCIE or AGP card. I have also had a lot of problems with non brande memory and now only use Crucial. The 6600 GT is a good card, perhaps you have just had bad luck. If you have AGP try to get this click here Novatech is out of stock but you might get it elsewhere.

Methedrine 01:10 17 Jan 06

click here for the one I bought. Cheaper now.

Totally-braindead 01:14 17 Jan 06

Heres one click here and here click here the Gigabyte one looks good and I see Dabs are also doing a gigabyte click here

Softstag 08:39 17 Jan 06

Totally-braindead is correct; you can have problems with unbranded items, it is often worth spending a little extra. I have an XFX 6600GT with dual DVI output (that was the main reason for me buying the card). It has been great and is used a lot.

Likewise, I always buy Crucial memory; you know it will work and as a bonus you get a lifetime guarantee.

sputnick 08:45 17 Jan 06

Thanks for all your responses. I`ll get a branded one.

sputnick 13:44 17 Jan 06

What would you call Branded, obviously GiGabyte ,but what about Leactec and PNY etc.
I see through one of the links that Overclockers have the Leadtec available,>>

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Samsung Galaxy S8 review

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Samsung's beautifully designed Galaxy S8 makes for better VR experiences too

47 iPhone camera tips to help you take better photos