Any opinions about this book?

Revi 21:37 25 Oct 05

I am quite a beginner in web design. I have read a chapter or two from this book and would like to buy it now. To those who have read this book I would like to ask their opinion about it:

Håkon Wium Lie & Bert Bos
“Cascading Style Sheet – designing for the Web”
(3rd edition) Addison-Wesley, 2005, ISBN 0321193121
Thanks.

Forum Editor 22:39 25 Oct 05

to be honest there are a thousand tutorials on CSS out there on the web - many of them free - and lots of them are excellent.

Before splurging on a book I suggest that you do a bit of searching - you'll find enough information to keep you happy for ages.

Revi 06:19 26 Oct 05

Many thanks for the tip.

PurplePenny 09:52 26 Oct 05

They both have the necessary credentials and expertise: Håkon Wium Lie is Chief Technology Officer for Opera, he first proposed the idea of CSS back in 1994; Bert Bos works for the W3C on style sheets. (Of course having the knowledge and being able to put it over well in a book don't necessarily go together.)

FE is right -- look at what is available on-line before spending out on books. The W3Schools site that I mentioned before has interactive CSS examples which are great learning aids: you change the code and see what happens. click here

If you want a book on hand as a reference source take a look at Danny Goodman, "Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference", O'Reilly, ISBN 0596003161. It is a bit out of date now but it contains very useful reference tables for HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Hands-on: Acer Predator Triton 700 review

D&AD Awards 2017: see the best design, advertising, illustration, animation and VR of the past year

How to lose weight with an Apple Watch