Any opinions about this book?

Revi 21:37 25 Oct 05

I am quite a beginner in web design. I have read a chapter or two from this book and would like to buy it now. To those who have read this book I would like to ask their opinion about it:

Håkon Wium Lie & Bert Bos
“Cascading Style Sheet – designing for the Web”
(3rd edition) Addison-Wesley, 2005, ISBN 0321193121
Thanks.

Forum Editor 22:39 25 Oct 05

to be honest there are a thousand tutorials on CSS out there on the web - many of them free - and lots of them are excellent.

Before splurging on a book I suggest that you do a bit of searching - you'll find enough information to keep you happy for ages.

Revi 06:19 26 Oct 05

Many thanks for the tip.

PurplePenny 09:52 26 Oct 05

They both have the necessary credentials and expertise: Håkon Wium Lie is Chief Technology Officer for Opera, he first proposed the idea of CSS back in 1994; Bert Bos works for the W3C on style sheets. (Of course having the knowledge and being able to put it over well in a book don't necessarily go together.)

FE is right -- look at what is available on-line before spending out on books. The W3Schools site that I mentioned before has interactive CSS examples which are great learning aids: you change the code and see what happens. click here

If you want a book on hand as a reference source take a look at Danny Goodman, "Dynamic HTML: The Definitive Reference", O'Reilly, ISBN 0596003161. It is a bit out of date now but it contains very useful reference tables for HTML, CSS and JavaScript.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…