Any one with a new Dimension Dell?

Piot57 22:47 04 Feb 06

Why has Dell stop making back-up disks. If their initial set-up is faulty, how are we supposed to get over faults. telepathy? It's a cheapskate attitude.
My dell has NAV as web security: trouble is as soon as I want to use Win 2003XP Pro up it pops and massacres the Winword prog. It stays as a greyed out square. Dell has not yer condescended to reply. So watch it boyos (and ladies). If any one knows of a way out of uninstall/install w.o. disks, let me know, please. I'm in a right quandry.
Thanks.
Piotr57

BurrWalnut 09:30 05 Feb 06

I think you can create a Windows CD-R. Have a look at All Programs, Dell Accessories or similar wording.

Piot57 22:53 22 Feb 06

Not quite on right track. if you use dell's way, you have to back up ALL your main sector disk or bits you want, as process with untried CD-Dell Revival, let's call it, is untested and I don't trust Dell after they have taken my money and never reply!
Thanks for trying.
(I could of course re-sector my HD into 2 or 3 HD-partitions which might help. That's the easiest way to find out.)
Thanks again for your help.

beynac 23:02 22 Feb 06

Sorry Piot57, I don't understand what you mean. I created a Windows XP Home SP2 CD, in the way suggested by BurrWalnut, when I got my new computer. I don't see that this is any different from any installation/backup CD supplied by most computer manufacturers. This is not duplicating the initial setup - that is on a separate partition on the HDD.

Have you tried uninstalling NAV, if you think that this is causing the problem?

I must add that I'm very pleased with my new Dell Dimension.

lotvic 23:09 22 Feb 06

bookmarked as I have yet to make cd for my nieces Dell (might need some help in 2 weeks when I next visit)

SG Atlantis® 23:13 22 Feb 06

They are all at it.

My compaq came with no disks. You have to make your own.

Apparently MS encourage it as it helps against piracy.

beynac 23:20 22 Feb 06

I don't see that it makes any difference to MS. The disk is still available. If it is duplicated, then it won't be verified.

My point is that Dell provide the facility to create a Windows XP CD. Personally, I don't see the difference between providing a CD and giving the facility to create one. The process was very painless and, as far as I can see, the CD is no different from an original.

GANDALF <|:-)> 23:21 22 Feb 06

It is easy to create your own. Self responsibility is character building and creating the disks is easy unless you are totally thick.

G

SG Atlantis® 23:22 22 Feb 06

what you get to make is a recovery disk, not a full windows disk. At least that's what it is with my compaq... I'm only just repeating what I've been told by a few people.

beynac 23:26 22 Feb 06

Ah! With the Dell it is a full Windows disk. In that case I agree with you about the Compaq. My laptop ( bought c.1999) is a Compaq and I only got a recovery disk then!

Bodice 11:03 03 Mar 06

its stored on the harddrive along with all the drivers.

You probably no all this by now so ignore me sticking my nose in.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…