Any Office 2010 experts, please?

ams4127 20:49 21 Sep 10

I have just downloaded a trial of Microsoft's Office 2010 Home and Student edition and have a problem.

All I want to do is make a macro which, when played, will bring up a new blank page with my name and address showing at the top right position.

I've done this many times before with various office programmes (2007, wordperfect, openoffice etc.) and it has always been so easy that even I could do it.

But how, in the name of all that's holy, do I manage it in Office 2010?

My apologies for asking what must be a basic question.

johnnyrocker 21:16 21 Sep 10

why a macro why not just format a page as you wish then save it?

johnny

ams4127 22:34 21 Sep 10

Yes, I've done that and it works. But I just want to know how to set it up as a macro. Surely if I could do it in Office 2007 I must be able to do the same in 2010.

If it turns out that I can't, I'll simply go back to 2007 and dump the 2010 trial.

Forum Editor 22:44 21 Sep 10

I don't understand why you haven't simply created a template - a macro isn't really the right way to handle this.

If you're set on recording a macro however, right-click on the ribbon at the top of the page and select 'customise ribbon'. Then tick the box next to 'Developer' in the right-hand pane. Click 'OK' and you'll find that a new Developer tab appears on the ribbon. Open it and you'll see a 'record macro' button.

skeletal 16:32 22 Sep 10

I’m trying to understand your problem. I think it may be that you can’t see the developer tab and FE’s description will sort you out.

In terms of code written in the various editions of Office from 2003 to 2010, there are some esoteric differences, but of many thousands of lines I have written, there are only a few that have caused a problem.

Thus, if you have code that worked in Office 2007, it is extremely likely it will be OK in 2010.

Also, although it has a few bugs, I much prefer 2010 over 2007.

Skeletal

ams4127 22:40 22 Sep 10

Thank you both for your replies and I shall use the FE's method as soon as I can. And the reason I use that expression is that last night my computer refused to boot (first time ever) and I had to use System Restore to recover.

Having finally got the machine working again I have found that Office 2010 has vanished. Nothing, zilch, da nada. Gone totally to I know not where.

So, as and when I get the time, I shall start the whole download again.

I know you both think I'm doing things wrongly and I'm sure you are both right. I am but a novice with office type programmes but am more than willing to learn from experts. It's just that, as I said before, using a macro is the way I have done it for years. It's simple, effective and works. I simply start the programme, click the macro on the toolbar and there is the page all set to go. What can possibly be easier?

Anyway, thanks to you both for taking the trouble to try dragging thick old me into the 21st century. I'm still confused by the 20th!!

Resolved.

skeletal 10:43 23 Sep 10

By the sound of it, your system restore took you to before you installed Office 2010, so it would like it had disappeared, because it has!

You may still have the file downloads somewhere on your system, so could re-install from those.

I can’t remember how the Office trial downloads now, but typically there are two download methods for programs:

1. Go the web site and click “Download”. You get the option to install straight away, or “Save to disc”. I always chose the Save option (to a huge folder I now have called “Downloads”; full marks for originality!). If you do this you can always re-install from this folder without another download.
2. As for 1, but in some cases you only get a “downloader” rather than the actual files. In these cases you may be forced to install as you download. There is nothing you can do in this case. Not having the files locally you are forced to download again.

Sorry if you know all this, but try to always save the files if you can.

As to the “right” way of doing things, this is an interesting thought. M$ in its wisdom allows loads of different ways to do almost everything in its software. In some cases having so much choice can be confusing.

The particular case you describe, for most people, would be done with a template. When you finally get 2010 working, click on the leftmost tab (File) on the ribbon, and then click on New. You will then see loads of templates appear, one of which is “My templates”, and there is another “Letters”. If you adopt, or design from scratch, a template for your letter, you can have it appear as one of the options in “My templates”.

Ironically, after all this, I have been thinking of doing a template in code. However, in my case there are many pages that have similar but changing information. A simple example is a customer’s name and address that appears in several places, in different fonts and sizes, but will be different for every customer. In other words a much more complex problem for which code is the ideal solution.

If you want more help in setting up templates etc. you know where to come!

Skeletal

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

The Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild review: Five hours with Zelda on the Nintendo Switch

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

How the painting-like animated sequences in A Monster Calls were created by Glassworks Barcelona

The 22 best Safari extensions | Best Safari plugins: Improve Apple's Safari web browser with these…