Any ISPs where you can actually talk to someone?

bukkaz 16:16 01 Dec 06

Placed an order for BT totalbroadband. Equipment was delivered, got an e-mail with details of order, password, confirmation of e-mail address. Couldn't get a connection. Have spent 3 days and several hours on the phone pressing 1,2 or 3 and getting through to a call centre. Then getting re-directed to another number and going through it all again, and then again andso on. I am now told that I don't own the line and there must be a fault with the MAC code (I thought they issued the numbers to the ISP?). After another trai laround was told that there is no order on my line. Amazing, they send wireless routers and phones to people who haven't ordered anything. Then spoke to yet another person who gave me anumber for engineers. Rang it and after the usual press this button if, that button if ended up yet again with a call centre asking me yet again to confirm my details and starting all over again. Anyone know any decent ISPs where you can actually talk to a real live person, preferably one who can actually give some advice?

wotbus@ 16:22 01 Dec 06

No. Welcome to the 21st century ;-)

isca2 16:24 01 Dec 06

I use Eclipse iSP..In addition to an online help and reporting facility, you can actually phone them up and talk to a human being who actually understands you !

click here

anskyber 16:27 01 Dec 06

Zen Internet

CurlyWhirly 14:31 02 Dec 06

"I am now told that I don't own the line and there must be a fault with the MAC code (I thought they issued the numbers to the ISP?)"

No, the MAC code is given to you via e-mail and you then need to forward it to the ISP that yu are migrating to.

I know as I went through the migration process for the first time around 6 months ago when I migrated to Zen.

oldbeefer2 15:01 02 Dec 06

Thinking about Eclipse for my daughter, but I'm with Vispa who have a number to ring (local rate) which takes you direct to an engineer in Cheshire. Only drawback is they charge 40 odd quid for initial connection. However, on the odd occasion when I've needed assistance, to be able to get through to an English engineer in seconds has proved invaluable (perhaps they will give me a reduction in monthly fees now!).

anchor 15:15 02 Dec 06

Pipex seem to have real people on the end of their support line. No press this and press that either. Only problem is that often there is quite a wait to speak to someone.

Fortunately, Pipex are so reliable that I only need to contact them once in a blue moon.

Dipso 16:59 02 Dec 06

IDNet have good support based in this country at the end of a freephone number. click here

johnem 17:55 02 Dec 06

UkOnline have reasonable support on a freephone number, often there is a fairly lengthy wait though. click here

Jak_1 18:12 02 Dec 06

I am with orange, formerly Wanadoo and Freeserve, and have never had a problem talking to real people beit tech support or customer services. Usually with little waiting time also.

Technotiger 18:19 02 Dec 06

Hi, I am with BT Broadband, I had no trouble getting to talk to an Englishman in UK about my problems, which he sorted out very quickly.

The number I phoned was ... 0870-2404650

Good luck.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Sniper Elite 4 review: Headshotting Nazis has never felt so good

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

The Fresh New Fonts of 2017

WWDC 2017 dates: How to get WWDC 2017 tickets, when is WWDC 2017 and more details announced