Any info on geode processors

Totally-braindead 23:31 14 Mar 06

I've been looking for a cheap upgrade for my friends kids computer and have been looking at bundles, I've noticed that Savastore are selling this click here which looks ideal but I have certain concerns about the processor.

I'd never heard of this AMD processor and am wondering if anyone has one of these and can give me a link to how well they perform. The kids have a 1 gig Duron at the moment but the motherboard and processor are both U/S hence the upgrade. I've done a Google search but all I've found are press releases nothing about how well the chips perform compared with say a Duron or Sempron. All help appreciated especially from anyone who has got one of these processors.

johnnyrocker 23:34 14 Mar 06

i have an amd and quite happy with it i am too if that helps.

johnny.

Totally-braindead 23:42 14 Mar 06

johnnyrocker so you have one of these AMD geode processors, how does it perform when compared to one of the other AMD processors?

phono 23:43 14 Mar 06

It appears to be an Athlon 1400 CPU + Mobo and 512MB RAM combination.

If so it should be a reasonably decent upgrade compared to the 1 Gig Duron.

Have you checked for similar CPU, RAM and Mobo bundles that may beat this price?

I haven't bought these sort of components in a while but it looks a reasonable price to me, others with more recent knowledge may wish to differ of course.

phono 23:45 14 Mar 06

I think the geode name is an Aries thing, it appears the CPU is an Athlon 1400, why don't you email them to clarify?

SG Atlantis® 23:46 14 Mar 06
  SG Atlantis® 23:49 14 Mar 06

Hope that helps, I found it of Google.

It is designed for small devices and thin client set ups from what I can make of the link.

Regards

phono 23:49 14 Mar 06

Nice one, I should have Googled before replying.

Totally-braindead 23:59 14 Mar 06

Yeah guys it isn't the same as an Athlon or any of the other processors thats why I was hoping someone can comment on how well they perform. I would hate to buy one only to find it was actually slower than the processor its replacing, I realise the specs say its faster but thats only part of the story. Anyone got one of these "budget" chips?

phono 00:08 15 Mar 06

Sorry cannot comment, why not email them and ask if performance is on a par with the equivalent Athlon, a hedgy reply should sound a "steer clear" warning bell.

Softstag 00:29 15 Mar 06

Savastore's site does not give much details on the chip. The AMD Geode processors were originally integrated in to motherboards and low powered, it appears they are stand alone chips now. There is some info on the AMD website.

Personally, I'd steer clear, as there is little info on them, so they probably aren't that great. Also, I'm not fond of PC Chips motherboards, they aren't great performers and they have a habbit of failing on me!

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

What is Amazon Go and will it come to the UK? The store without checkouts or queues

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Why ecommerce hasn't taken off on social media

New MacBook Pro 2016 review | MacBook Pro with Touch Bar review: Apple's expensive and powerful…