Any ideas for a quicker internet connection ect:

diddi.ash 16:30 06 Apr 04

My computer is slow when on-line and waiting for web pages to load, i am on dial up with freeserve, FREE if possible!

johnnyrocker 16:32 06 Apr 04

os? spyware?

johnny.

diddi.ash 16:35 06 Apr 04

What is that?

Lead 16:39 06 Apr 04

Assuming your PC is free of any nasties slowing your connection down, then I would recommend leaving well alone. Programs offering extra speed never worked for me and often caused more problems than they reported to solve. OS tweaks often have the same negative effect.

diddi.ash 16:41 06 Apr 04

Ok thanks, its just it was much quicker before i added McAfee internet security suite!

Old Shep 16:43 06 Apr 04

I am on dial up freeserve because I cannot get broadband. If you want pages to load faster download and instal Opera Web Browser. It works alongside IE but loads a lot quicker and when you press the BACK button it's instantanious. Best thing I ever downloaded and no they are not paying me to sat that. click here choose the java download 15.7mb. Good Luck

Diodorus Siculus 16:43 06 Apr 04

click here
Lavasoft click here
Spybot-S&D click here
CWS

These will check for any spyware.

What OS (operting system) are you using?

ened 16:48 06 Apr 04

I have Broadband but people I know who have installed ONSPEED have said it genuinely makes a big difference.
It can be found on many magazine discs for a trial period then costs £25 pa.
The theory behind it is that they intercept your incoming and reduce it's size then your machine increases it again.

Only a suggestion

BurrWalnut 16:50 06 Apr 04

You could check your line speed here click here

diddi.ash 16:58 06 Apr 04

Im running on windows XP, my line speed is 4080kbps - 500k bytes/sec

118-118 Got Your Number 17:05 06 Apr 04

I looked at OnSpeed - but decided not to on the grounds that they reserve the right to pass personal information on to anyone they like.

Extra speed still comes at a price.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to get Windows 10 for free | How to install Windows 10: There is still a way to avoid paying…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Alex Chinneck’s giant ice cube Christmas tree at Kings Cross

Apple rumours & predictions 2017: The iPhone 8, new iPads, and everything else you should expect fr7…