Any feedback gratefully received

peedees 19:12 15 Apr 06

Hi
I have recently completed my website and would like to know what others think of it. In particular, should I keep the purple box around the pages? the sit is:
click here

Thanks
Rachel

Forum Editor 19:32 15 Apr 06

is an example of how a commercial web site should look. Tasteful and restrained design, everything you want to know at the click of a mouse, and quality products, well displayed.

It's hard to fault, and it seems nitpicking to try, but you asked, so there are three points:-

1. You need a privacy policy page, because you're offering people a form, on which they'll record personal details. You don't need to say much, just reassure your customers that you will not disclose their personal details to a third party under any circumstances, without their prior consent. Tell them that you will only retain their information for as long as is necessary for the conduct of the business between you both, and that they may ask to see the information you hold about them at any time.

2. On your links page, put a little paragraph to say that you cannot be held responsible for the content of external sites.

3. It's not a great idea to have contact email addresses as hyperlinks - you'll be swamped with spam. Put email addresses in plain text - preferably as a graphic, so they can't be harvested by spam-bots. Let your customers do the typing.

That purple border? I see exactly what you mean, and the harder you look the more difficult the decision becomes - have you tried losing it, what does it look like?

My only thought was that the content might tend to look a little lost without the restraint of the border - on balance I think I might keep it.

Forum Editor 22:23 15 Apr 06

about the menu links, but only as far as the homepage is concerned. The links on all the other pages are fine.

ade.h 23:01 15 Apr 06

Keep the purple borders on each page, but you really should add padding at the bottom so that the border does not sit right on the very edge of the browser window.

I noticed that the middle right image on the index page is wider than those above and below it, which looks untidy. Barring a few little details, most of the site is very neatly laid out. I am fastidious about object positioning.

PurplePenny 23:21 15 Apr 06

Keeeeeeeep the purple borders (no, of course I'm not biased)

I too have looked at the code and can't see why the links aren't working. I wonder if it is anything to do with all the extra links which have only blank or non-breaking spaces between the tags?

One clue (but it's too near bedtime to think this through properly): I've just used the Firefox Developer Toolbar to linearise the layout and... hey presto!... the links worked.

Oh... by the way.... did I say?... keep the purple borders.

PurplePenny 23:23 15 Apr 06

The links also start working when styles are disabled.

peedees 08:39 16 Apr 06

Thanks so much for the feedback and suggestions! Really helpful.

As for Firefox (which I have to admit I had never heard of until yesterday evening!!) I am so disappointed to see that things don't work on there as they should. The links at the top don't work and there are ugly white gaps on the edges of the pictures. And just when I thought I had it sorted.

I used an html editor to make the site and have contacted their support dept. about it.

Anyway, time for some chocolate...
Happy Easter!

ade.h 17:40 16 Apr 06

All seems well now; the text links work and I noticed that you have adjusted the errant image.

PurplePenny 23:28 16 Apr 06

Links working for me too now! How did you sort it out?

What editor are you using?

Bebee 08:03 17 Apr 06

I can't add much to the advice, but I do think it is a lovely site and perfrctly designed for its product and purpose. Tasteful, clear and easy to navigate.

peedees 12:22 17 Apr 06

Thanks for the comments. I am using a program called web page maker 2. I have found it really easy to use - but it has still enabled me to get the look I want without the use of ugly templates and navigation bars etc.

I sorted the problem by sending the square shape (which was the border) to the back and bringing the text box - navigation bar thingy to the front. I emailed their support and they told me what to do.

I actually really like my purple border but I think I should scrap it because one of my competitors has a site with a border too and I think they look too similar. A pity - but I think I will substitute a thin purple line at the bottom instead. I've tried it and it looks OK.
Rachel

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This abstract video touches on division in our technologic world

Best alternatives to iTunes for Mac | Best music players for macOS: Free your music from the…