Any dBASE users out there?

stlucia 14:16 17 Sep 03

I've been dBASE programming since the days of dBASE III, and am currently using dBASE PLUS running under Windows XP. My programming techniques are unchanged since my early days, except for the absolute minimum changes necessary to keep things working under the various versions of dBASE and Windows. (Before anyone asks, the only reason I keep upgrading from previous versions of dBASE and Windows is because I sell my programs and need keep them up to date with the latest Windows.)

I'm conscious that one of these days I'm going to have to make the jump to object-oriented programming, rather than my DOS-based methods, because each new release of dBASE drops support for one or two commands; but I can hardly understand one word of the dBASE user "guides".

So, the point of this posting is, can anyone recommend a simple first-principles guide to the current best-practice programming techniques for dBASE PLUS?

xania 20:03 17 Sep 03

Here are some URL's I have found:

click here

click here

click here

but you could find more by typing <dBASE PLUS> into any search engine

stlucia 12:00 18 Sep 03

Thanks Xania. I've tried the search engines and, generally, the only results I get are for dBASE III Plus (as per your first link), which is 20-year old DOS version of dBASE, not the current Windows based dBASE PLUS.

Your second link is for the correct dBASE PLUS, but it just references the manuals, which I've already got.

I'll have to review your third link further to see how (if) it relates to dBASE PLUS. Some of the articles there look like what I want, except that on the face of it they're for Delphi, not dBASE PLUS.

BurrWalnut 14:14 18 Sep 03

I may be wrong (memory not so good) but wasn't Delphi the compiled version of DBASE?

stlucia 15:09 18 Sep 03

There is (was?) a connection between Delphi, Borland, and/or dBASE. But I'm not sure what it was. Certainly at the moment I don't consciously use Delphi when I compile, deploy, and distribute my dBASE programs -- everything is done using dBASE, dBASE RunTime Engine, and a 3rd-party distribution application (Inno Setup).

david4637 17:49 19 Sep 03

As an expert could you tell me what I need to do to W98SE to run Dbase4? Thanks David

stlucia 08:55 22 Sep 03

Who said expert?!!

I'm quite sure that dBASE IV (I assume that's what you're referring to) will not run under Windows. You'll have to switch to DOS mode (Start > Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt on my Windows 2000 machine -- probably something similar under Windows 98) to run it.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch (Nintendo NX) release date, price, specs and preview trailer: Codename NX console…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

8 things designers (and brands) need to know about the modern woman

How to speed up a slow Mac: 19 great tips to make an iMac, MacBook or Mac mini run faster | Speed…