any comments on upgrading from XP SP3 to Vista SP1

Paul2008 15:43 03 Aug 08

Hi!
Would like any SHORT comments that anyone would like to make about the advantages or disadvantages of upgrading to Vista Home Premium SP1 - (excluding cost) on new Dell notebook.
Have been an XP user for years (SP3) and "Why should I upgrade" - if upgrade is the right word :-).
Thanks anyone!

Paul2008

PO79 15:45 03 Aug 08

Vista has a great many fans, and a equal amount of detractors. In short for complete backward compatibility I would opt for a dual boot option.

Stuartli 16:49 03 Aug 08

If you are happy with XP then stick to it - it's a generally stable and reliable OS.

jack 17:19 03 Aug 08

If you are happy with XP
There are many for and against but the issues are minor except for some drivers for older hardware like printers and scanners
a look at this may be of value click here

DieSse 20:04 03 Aug 08

The big disadvantage is that you don't know what might break/not work/run much slower - until you do it. Then it's too late.

And it's different - things are in different places for no good reasons, so you've got a learning curve too.

An utterly pointless change IMHO.

Paul2008 15:06 06 Aug 08

Thanks for your feedback, folks
Paul2008

sunny staines 15:25 06 Aug 08

i would reformat and have a clean install.

clone the xp drive first so you have the option of going back easily.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Qualcomm Snapdragon 835 benchmarks: Antutu, Geekbench 4, GFXBench and PCMark results

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This animated short film tells a moving story of domestic violence for Refuge

New iPad 2017 preview: Apple's affordable but underspecced new iPad may appeal to the education…