pcwhizz 11:08 02 Aug 03

Please could you tell me any useful comments about the SN45G. Anything at all would be useful.

Comments(Good or Bad), Tips or Reccomendations on components.

Gaz 25 11:30 02 Aug 03

They seem ok as a small tidy PC, if that is what you are looking for.

Performance wise they are good for home use.

GANDALF <|:-)> 11:35 02 Aug 03

They are incredibly pricey and if space is at a premium I would suggest a laptop.

Gaz 25 11:40 02 Aug 03

Yes, a laptop is great if portability is needed.

pcwhizz 11:49 02 Aug 03

After reading this months PC ADVISOR I saw the shuttle XPC. I like the ability of the 400fsb on the SN45G so that s why I want one. FUTURE PROOF AND STYLISH!

barrie_g 11:54 02 Aug 03

I wouldn't say that they are incredibly pricey, they are about the same as you would expect to pay for a quality case and mobo, plus the mobo is already fitted along with all the case connections which on a home build can be one of the more frustrating parts of putting together a pc.

I dont have one but I am seriously considering it as the starting point for my next pc.

barrie_g 11:56 02 Aug 03

Plus they are already fitted with a psu all for £191.41 click here

Webmaster 14:38 02 Aug 03

>> They are incredibly pricey and if space is at a premium I would suggest a laptop.

a) They are not 'pricey' for what you get - they are incredibly compact and highly powerful machines (especially when coupled with the top-range chips from AMD e.g. 2600). They can also cope with memory speeds up to PC3200.

b) If you check out the size in real life, pictures on websites and in magazines simply do _not_ do them justice.... they are tiny. Coupled with the brilliant bag you can buy to carry the XPC, they are simple to carry about. If you don't want to buy a bag you can use the nice and compact sturdy box which the machine came in.

I have built SN41G2s and they are such a pleasure to work with and really simple to build, especially as everything needed comes self contained in the box. The I.C.E. Heatpipe technology is staggeringly effective and the SN41G2 has superb nVidia graphics with 2 x vga out. Although the SN45G can cope with the new (more expensive) AMD chips such as the AMD AthlonXP PR3200+ Barton, unfortunately it does not come with any graphics which is why I would recommend the SN41G2 at present.

Also, the SN41G2 is effectively the better spec model over the SK41G (been around for some time), therefore I will hazard a guess that Shuttle will be releasing a better spec model over the SN45G in due course.

SEASHANTY 15:45 02 Aug 03

Being small these Shuttle cases have two disadvantages. They only have one 5.25" bay and one floppy drive bay. Plus only two or three PCI slots. Therefore you can only have a combi-cd-rom drive or say a DVD writer drive. Any other connections to cd-rom drives must be via external USB or Firewire.
Suppose that if you NEVER want to upgrade then the Shuttle is fine.

Philip2 15:52 02 Aug 03

Compact yes but very little chance of upgrading in the future,i should say they would date very quickly in view of the speed IT is changing.

Webmaster 16:27 02 Aug 03

I can agree with that, especially on the expansion front.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

How to watch Windows Event live stream, live blog | Microsoft event live stream: Watch Microsoft…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

This amazing app turns your iPad Pro into a Cintiq

iPhone 7 Plus review: A superb big-screen phablet, but the price tag's enormous | iPhone 7 Plus…