Any comments on AVIRA antivirus?

Paul2008 13:54 04 Sep 09

Hi
I downloaded this yesterday and had problems getting it to run - the updates didn't work.
Anyone got any experience of it amd what do you think of it?
Paul2008

Clapton is God 14:18 04 Sep 09

I assume that you un-installed your previous AV program before installing/running Avira?

Paul2008 14:22 04 Sep 09

This was the first thing after a new installation XP SP3.

Clapton is God 14:25 04 Sep 09

So, rather than running with a faulty AV, why not install one that DOES work and is regularly recommended in these Forums? click here

Paul2008 14:35 04 Sep 09

I had been using AVG free but over the weekend using wireless in hotels, I got 3 hits from win32.agent.pz and 5 hits of win32.zbot
These were only picked up by Spybot in a scan.
System black-screened 2 days later hence the reinstall and try something new.
AVIRA... because if had a good result in PCA.

Tony W. 15:59 04 Sep 09

Fully agree with Clapton is God.For the past 8/9 months I have had a paid version Kaspersky Anti Virus Installed.For some reason despite several re-installations it would suddenly lock up while updating itself.

On some occasions I was unable to stop it running in update mode and always had to switch off the computer and to reboot.

Although with still a few months to go with the license I finally uninstalled it for good.

From recommendations made in the PC Advisor forum I installed Avast no problems updating no problems running and its free.

Also on its first full scan it picked up two Trojans somewhere in system restore.

Batch 18:39 04 Sep 09

See these two recent reviews from PCA:

click here

click here

AVIRA is top rated, but Avast is only fractionally behind.

Sometimes something just won't work on your system, so if AVIRA is playing up, you are still very well protected if you use Avast.

I switched to Avast after AVG 8 came out and was an absolute pig. Plain sailing since.

BTW, I also installed ThreatFire based on the PCA recommendation. This works alongside your main AV software. See:

click here

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Nintendo Switch review: Hands-on with the intuitive modular console and its disappointing games…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

Method Studios' title sequence for BBC series Taboo is truly unsettling

Best Pages for iOS tips | How to use Pages for iPad & iPhone: 6 simple tips to get more out of…