Any clues??home network hell with Win 98

eponymous 20:24 08 Nov 03

Trusty but steady desktop has been running Win 98SE and a blueyonder broadband connection for 18 months. managed to set up a little home network via a PC Line 100/10 card and ethernet miniswitch, worked OK connecting to an XP laptop for a while...then it stopped.....
Tried this week connecting Trusty to shiny new laptop, result was loss of broadband connection and no stable LAN connection. I cannot even "ping" the two computers. 2 hours on phone to blue yonder (quite impressed with them) eventually resulted in restoration of broadband until re boot...gave up, and connected laptop directly to broadband(which is why I can bore you all now). I am sure this is a win 98 issue, not a plug and lead jobby. Any clues, anyone?
By the way, the laptop got infected by welcha worm within 5 minutes on-line, cleared via Symantec site, now mail washer and ad aware installed and troops posted on all doors.

This thread is now locked and can not be replied to.

Best phone camera 2016/2017: Galaxy S7 vs iPhone 7 vs Google Pixel vs HTC 10 Evo vs OnePlus 3T vs…

1995-2015: How technology has changed the world in 20 years

These are the Best Christmas Ads and Studio Projects of 2016

Super Mario Run preview | Hands-on first impressions of Super Mario Run: Mario's iPhone & iPad…